Broadband in a rural area?

Hello. I would like to get your opinions on a connectivity issue. I live in a rural area and I currently connect at an average speed of 28.8K. I have two systems sharing resources through a router and obviously the internet is extremely slow. I dont even bother using both systems at the same time even though I have internet connection sharing enabled. A
company called Cebridge Connections just recently set up shop and is offering 128K for 19.95 a month. I know that 128K sounds like a joke but I'm hoping that it will be a huge improvement over 28.8k. I wanted to know if anyone has ever had a similar speed and what they thought of it. Thanks. :rolleyes:

Sounds like either ISDN, or IDSL.

I have used the first, and a friend of mine uses the 2nd currently.

Way better than dialup, but still not broadband. For $19/month if nothing else is available, I would go for it.

==>Lazn

My parents live a little ways out of town and are able to get wireless broadband. It is not the most reliable connection, but is pretty fast when it's working right. You might check and see if there is anything like that around.

Aratech said:
Hello. I would like to get your opinions on a connectivity issue. I live in a rural area and I currently connect at an average speed of 28.8K. I have two systems sharing resources through a router and obviously the internet is extremely slow. I dont even bother using both systems at the same time even though I have internet connection sharing enabled. A
company called Cebridge Connections just recently set up shop and is offering 128K for 19.95 a month. I know that 128K sounds like a joke but I'm hoping that it will be a huge improvement over 28.8k. I wanted to know if anyone has ever had a similar speed and what they thought of it. Thanks. :rolleyes:

For only $20 dollars a month I would get the 128K. You will notice a huge difference. While it might not be the fastest internet around it will be leaps and bounds better than your 28K, I know because I have experienced both on a regular basis. However make sure and look at other options too, if there is any.

Thanks for the replies. I just had it installed a few hours ago and I am very satisfied. I did a broadband test and it said I was connected at 124.8k. That is a HUGE improvement over the dial up I had which usually connected right around 28.8K.Its about 5 times faster. Anyone one here use Firefox? The tech told me that I should use IE and he set it as my default browser. When he left, I started up FireFox but it seems to drag when loading the pages I visit. IE just jumps around with almost no loading time. Any clues?

Aratech said:
Thanks for the replies. I just had it installed a few hours ago and I am very satisfied. I did a broadband test and it said I was connected at 124.8k. That is a HUGE improvement over the dial up I had which usually connected right around 28.8K.Its about 5 times faster. Anyone one here use Firefox? The tech told me that I should use IE and he set it as my default browser. When he left, I started up FireFox but it seems to drag when loading the pages I visit. IE just jumps around with almost no loading time. Any clues?

http://www.neologe.com/tutorials/tutorial_firefox_optimization.html

==>Lazn

Aratech said:
Cool. I will try this.

Another question: Do I still need a firewall installed on my pc now that I am using a router to share my cable modem connection? I have an SMC Barricade Router. It claims to have an SPI firewal integrated. I was using zonealarm with my dial up prior to this broadband install. Thanks

No real answer to this. Yes it has a limited firewall, but something like ZoneAlarm (or even the SP2 firewall) will let you know about outgoing connections, where the Router will only deal with incoming connections. (so if you get a virus via email, or spyware, it will not protect you from that)

Personally I do not use an additional firewall on my box, but I also know what processes are running and why, and I monitor it. My roomate keeps Kerio Firewall on his because he is paranoid. (it is a powerfull free firewall)

==>Lazn

Aratech said:
Cool. I will try this.

Another question: Do I still need a firewall installed on my pc now that I am using a router to share my cable modem connection? I have an SMC Barricade Router. It claims to have an SPI firewal integrated. I was using zonealarm with my dial up prior to this broadband install. Thanks

I will try that too. Thanks.

I should have made the note, to be carefull with Kerio Firewall, it will let you block things to the point that Windows won't work no more. It is great freeware, but do be carefull with it.

==>Lazn

Congrats on the upgrade, I remember when I was stuck at 54 and went with a shotgun modem and two phone lines and went up to 108...thought I had died and gone to heaven....just wait until your cable company starts broadband service, you'll find true love :D

Back