Bringing a Netgear PS110 Print Server Into My Network

svet-am

Supreme [H]ardness
For quite a while now, we've used network printing via CUPS on our Linux fileserver. However, that has meant that we could only use one printer (because the file server had only one LPT).

My father-in-law has a decent D-Link DP-300u print server that I configured for him and I really liked it. To get around the cost that teh DP-300u has, I just picked up a Netgear PS-110 on eBay (New In Box) for $27.00 shipped, so I was happy...

...until I downloaded the manual and saw that it appears to require special software a la the older HP JetDirect print servers. Does anyone here have experience with this particular model? If the software is required and is Windows-only, how can I get my Linux HTPC talking to it? On the D-Link print server, I just mapped directly to a particular queue on the device. Is there any way to do that with this print server?

thanks for any input you guys might have.

edit: found additional docs and this device appears to support direct LDP printing under Linux, so it should be feasible that I can perform the same port->queue addressing that I used with the D-Link device. I'll have to wait until the Netgear device comes in to actually play, though.

Back