• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Bring on the cool weather

Chugiak

Gawd
Joined
Mar 20, 2002
Messages
860
OK, I wanted some cool weather but yesterday was a biatch! Here in Anchorage there's leaves on most of the trees, and we get our first snowfall and its heavy wet snow. All the trees start getting weighed down with snow and next thing you know...

The first power outage only lasted four hours. Unfortunately all my UPS are of the low budget variety and there was no way they could keep my systems up. So after the power came back on I was happy and went around resetting computers that don't automatically boot up.

I then go to my Dad's house to set him up with Linux after the old Windows ME finally went under. About an hour into it I get a call from my wife informing me that the power was out again. No problem, I thought, the electrical guys will get it up shortly.

After a few hours my family opts to depart the cooling house and have dinner at my folks place. They spend the night there in a warm house while I head home to care for the dog and fish. I come home to a dark and cold house - the temp outside is 31F and the temp inside has dropped to about 61F. I call the power company and get the recording that they're working on the many outtages and would I please leave them alone.

So I crawl into bed and hope for the best. Finally about 6:45 am the power comes back on. The temp in the house at this point was 53F. Myself and the dog handled it just fine, but the fish are still a little sluggish.

I've still got a few problems getting things back up and running. Without full KVM on all my headless units I can't tell if the problem is in the router or in the Win98 systems. Win98 is about useless since everytime it reboots after an error it requires you to hit OK to clear a message in scandisk. Arghhh. I think I'll switch them over to Linux.

I'm thankful we don't have nasty disasters like hurricanes frequenting Alaska - coping with a little power outtage is bad enough. I'm only back to 60% production. And power was off for 16 hours yesterday so I'm taking a hit in my stats. One thing to keep in mind for anyone starting to build a farm - make sure the motherboard BIOS has an option to reboot after power loss. So then if your UPS has failed at least it will be back up ASAP after power resumes.

Right, now bring on the cold weather!
 
That's tough Chugiak, it's always a problem when you have power company issues. Good to hear that your temps are in optimal folding territory though. We're supposed to be down in the 70's here next week, that's a good sign. :)
 
last week it got really cold here and snowed up in the mountains alot, but todya its nice again :(
 
Back
Top