Brightness concerns with LG L246WP

storm2099

n00b
So I just purchased an LG L246WP yesterday, replacing my dead 19" CRT.

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10084753&catid=

First thing I noticed was just how blindingly bright the whites are. I guess I have to adjust coming from a CRT. Anyways, Windows looked great, and I tested a few games like WoW and Supreme Commander. They both looked excellent. Then I fired up Prey and Doom 3 and was extremely disappointed. The level had me in a dark room and all the areas that were supposed to be black were more of a pale flat black / almost grey color, very ugly and distracting.

So I messed around with all the brightness/contrast/temperature levels on the monitor, as well as the video card (ati x1900xt) to no avail. From windows I removed my wallpaper and just used a black background. Even if I turn all the settings to zero, the entire display still has this bright hue to it that turns what should be a dark black to more of a faded flat black.

Is this normal for LCDs? Do I just have to deal with it and get used to it? I'm no monitor expert, but afaik backlight bleeding is when the outer edges or corners are brighter than other spots, where with mine the entire screen is bright.

Any ideas?

I think what your seeing is just one of the differences between LCD's and CRT's.

i just bought this monitor a couple days ago

it has to be one of the best 24inch monitors out there
its as crisp and detailed as my old 20inch widescreen display
response time is awesome no ghosting and viewing angles is awesome
i love the height adjustable base its great moves in so many ways
also i didnt need to calibrate it much at all right outta the box it looked fantastic
i had nothing wrong with my screen no deadpixels or anything
iam using the HDMI to DVI cable works good
love all the inputs it has more than others
this montior must be using a s- Ips panel or whatever its great

I bought this monitor at futureshop and returned it within 14 days...
it was just too disappointing!

The whites were either too bright but when i turned down the brightness of the monitor they looked flat and almost pale grey..

Another thing that got me was the lag when playing fps games (like battlefield 2142)
it seemed like a half second delay when moving your mouse around... just lame

All LCD's have some kind of input lag. There was a post that someone did with this monitor compared to a Dell and Benq. From that comparision, the LG was the best in input lag. I now have the LG and I can concur that the input lag is very low. I play Call of Duty and Medal of Honor, soon Call of Duty 4. You just have to make sure your video card can keep up, since low frame rates will also kill your game play.

This is the best 24inch monitor you can buy right now
all monitors have some quirk to them they are huge LCD screens
i don't notice any input lagg on my screen and i play bf2142 and bf2 and it looks awesome and is very fun . i got a deathadder mouse and i just upgraded to a 8800 GTS320
since i got the GTS my game run alot smoother and more responsive

i can play games at 1920x1200 just fine it looks good

Back