• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Brighteness vs Contrast

falcon26

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 21, 2005
Messages
128
When getting a LCD what would be more important, Brighteness or Contrast? The reason I ask is the viewsonic vp930b has a brighteness or 250cd/m2 and a contrast of 1000:1 and my Dads new L90D+ has a brighteness of 300cd/m2 and a contrast of 700:1. What is a better spec to have....
 
First of all, never trust manufacturers' specs. They're always exaggerated or way off. Secondly, contrast ▶ brightness. Trust me, too much brightness just washes out everything, and besides, I've never heard of someone having "too much contrast", usually it's the other way around. So in short, the best way to know for sure if a monitor's worth it is to see it in person, because only you can be the one that decides which one is better than the other. ;)
 
Asian Dub Foundation said:
yup, see for urself, and adjust both and see whats good for you

But usually stores have the monitors hoked up to crap sources, and it seems like the crap monitors always appear to be better IQ wise the the high end monitors.
 
Last edited:
1c3d0g said:
Secondly, contrast ▶ brightness. Trust me, too much brightness just washes out everything, ;)



That is WRONG, period. The higher contrast, the BETTER, PERIOD.....A 600:1 contrast ratio will not provide as good of black as a 1000:1 ratio. A good CRT has somewhere in the range of 20,000 to 30,000:1 contrast ratio....you don't see them burning anyones eyes out. A good LCD will have AT LEAST a 700:1 contrast ratio.

Contrast = the range between the darkest and lightest shade of a color a display can reproduce. The higher the ratio, the better the blacks are especially, and the more pure tones at the white end....
 
TheRapture said:
That is WRONG, period. The higher contrast, the BETTER, PERIOD.....A 600:1 contrast ratio will not provide as good of black as a 1000:1 ratio. A good CRT has somewhere in the range of 20,000 to 30,000:1 contrast ratio....you don't see them burning anyones eyes out. A good LCD will have AT LEAST a 700:1 contrast ratio.

Contrast = the range between the darkest and lightest shade of a color a display can reproduce. The higher the ratio, the better the blacks are especially, and the more pure tones at the white end....


I believe that's what 1c3d0g was saying. Contrast is of higher importance (thus the greater than symbol > ) than brightness.
 
Xyrax said:
I believe that's what 1c3d0g was saying. Contrast is of higher importance (thus the greater than symbol > ) than brightness.


I am almost 100% positive that earlier, it was an "=" symbol
:p


If it wasn't, I apologize,,,,


I think my goofy PC at work can't display the filled in ">" symbol and thus, substituted "="...it could happen.....
 
Uhhh...dude, I'm not sure what exactly your point is, but what you said is exactly what I was trying to point out. :eek:
 
1c3d0g said:
Uhhh...dude, I'm not sure what exactly your point is, but what you said is exactly what I was trying to point out. :eek:


Yes, I apologized. My eyes saw an "=" and not the greater than :)
 
Back
Top