• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Briefcase PC Mod...Have some questions..

rana

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 30, 2002
Messages
242
Hi Guys,

I am building a Briefcase PC and I just had a few questions about precautions I should take so nothing explodes or shorts out...

1) Should I use regular Metal MOBO Standoffs of plastic ones? Does it even matter?

2) What kind of switch Do I need to turn the computer on? A momentary switch? Rocker?

3) Whats the best way to deal with vibration due to transportation? I read one member used rubber washers...

4) Where can I buy some PCI Riser Cards so that I can mount my PCI cards horizontally..

And any other advice you can throw my way would be really helpful...

THANKS!
 
Oh, yeah, good luck getting THAT through an airport! ROFL.

Regaring the 'offset' - mobos tend to "ground" to the screws, so you'll want a metal plate behind the mobo, anyway. Shouldn't matter (plenty of other "grounding" options with the traces), but can't speak to all mobo makers designs.

Regarding "turning it on" - you just short the jumpers on the 'front panel' connectors, so anything that can do that will work.

(Sorry, not much constructive to add, just amused by the idea of someone with a "briefcase PC" trying to get on an airplane. ROFLMAO.)
 
Look here for parts. They sell riser cards, switches, and small PSU's.
http://www.logicsupply.com/

A mini-ITX build would be perfect for your situation. They are small, throw out less heat, and they are still pretty powerful depending on what you go with. Go with a laptop hard drive since they are built to stand up to a little more abuse than normal desktop hard drives. You'll also have less weight in the briefcase.

Look here for project ideas on how to mount things. (right side of website with all the people's project names)
http://www.mini-itx.com/

This site also sells mini-ITX stuff.
http://www.mini-box.com/site/index.html
 
1) I like metal standoffs better, just because you can screw them into the side of the briefcase. Grounding won't be an issue, since the MB is grounded to the PSU anyway.

2) You need a momentary, normally-open switch.

3) I don't think there's a whole lot you can do to prevent damage from bumps in a suitcase. Just periodically go in and make sure all your screws are tight, and don't do something dumb like drop it on a concrete floor.

4) There are plenty of places to get risers of all sorts. eBay has lots as well. Quality isn't a concern--it's just a high-conductor-count extension.
 
^ Thanks!

Now I just gotta go get a proper dremel that can handle cutting the aluminium....

I can't believe I lost my small portable one....:rolleyes:
 
Back
Top