Brief loud screech from video card

SR45

Limp Gawd
On shut down only, I get a brief screech from the speaker on the video card......

Two older power supplies tested and no issues, but with my new Corsair 1000HX, I get a screeeech very briefly from my 8800 GTX card on shut down only.

Corsair 1000HX + 8800 GTX card (1) + 780i SLI Mobo

Posted on the Corsair forum, no response from them at this time. One other member has the same effect. Tried two different Bios updates, two video card drivers and same issue. I don't have another video card to try but will in a few days try another 780i board that I will set up.

Just wondering if anyone else with the Very Same Set Up has had this screech sound from the video card speaker so I can isolate this to either a video card, mobo or power supply.

Thank you

I have exactly the same problem. Always had it ever since i got my 8800GTX 18 months ago, not it's not like it's dust or anything. The card makes no other unexpected sound when it's running, only a screech on shut down, exactly as you describe.

I have an XFX 8800GTX with an Antec Truepower 2.0 550w. It has an Athlon 64 X2 4400+ CPU on a DFI Lanparty-UT NF4 Ultra-D motherboard.

speaker on a video card?????

Here is a speaker on my old BFG7800GS AGP card. BFG replaced this card due to a squealing noise that came from the speaker.

BFG7800.jpg

Well then, it looks as if this is an issue with some cards and not others. RMA is a thought. Thanks guys.

As far as video cards with speakers, its actually not a speaker as we are used to but an audible speaker letting us know about lack of power from our power supplies.

Going to purchase a GTX280 and see if that is OK and if so, I'll RMA the old card and see what eVGA gives me :)

OK, here is the scoop....

Using the Modular PCIe cables instead of the fixed ones, the screeching sound is not present anymore. Go figure. Corsair remarks were that the video driver might be the cause, but if that were the case, why no screeching using the Modular cables then ? Only the fixed PCIe cables. Does not seem right.

Will now try to RMA the power supply to see if that solves the problem since this is not wide spread, and only a very few have reported it.

Do not want to cause any damage if that is possible to the video card each time it shuts off and the screech last only a brief moment ( 1/3 of a second ).

Back