Bridging two wireless routers

shadowhc

n00b
I need to have network acess for a church from the nearby house. The distance is about 320 feet. Is it possible to bridge two routers to connect to each other for this. Any ideas on what hardware to use. Thanks in advance.

Get a wireless g set of linksys routers and flash them with DD-WRT or whatever it is or Tomato. Turn DHCP on, on one of them and have the other run as an access point.

DONE! :)

320 feet is long, you can try with some linksys wrt54gl models but may want to consider some exterior/outdoor models.

Newer 802.11n Apple Airports are pricy but do a good job at bridging networks and provide good coverage. Have used them as a last restort and they did well.

Like others said 300 feet + is pretty far though especially with obstructions. You may need to look into equipment that can support directional antennas.

I just went to the church today the house is about 120 feet from one building and then 120 feet from another. Can I have the access points pretty much carry the signal to the other two buildings .. -->wireless --> building one access point ===> building two access point. This seems like teh best plan so far. I am not sure which routers to go with though.

you will want to setup a wireless bridge setup.

so in the main house with the broadband signal you want your main router

in middle house you want to be set as bridge, bridge it with main house mac id.

in 3rd house set that as bridge, bridge it with 2nd house mac id.

should work, would have to test it.

i would test with some wrt models with tomato, crank the xmit power, if they work you can either use it or upgrade.

trench out of question?

Back