Bridging two LANs so all computers can see each other

fattypants

2[H]4U
TL;DR version: I want to bridge two sets of computers so that when you click "network" in windows, every computer on the network can see the other.

When I host a LAN, everyone is on a switch downstairs (in green below). The HTPC is connected to the upstairs router (and thus the upstairs computers) via Wireless-N w/cantenna. The HTPC provides internet to the rest of the PCs with Windows ICS.

The computers upstairs (in red) and the computers downstairs cannot see each other on the network.

[PC 1]←[router]→[PC 2]
▒▒▒▒▒▒↕▒▒▒▒▒▒
▒▒(wireless router)▒
▒▒▒▒▒▒↕▒▒▒▒▒▒
▒▒▒▒[HTPC]▒▒▒▒
▒▒▒▒▒▒↕▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
[PC3]←[switch]→[PC4]▒
▒▒▒▒ ↓▒▒▒↓▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
▒▒▒[PC5] [PC6]▒▒▒▒
▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒

Is there a simple way to do this without buying another router?

Last edited:
Why not connect the upstairs pc's via wifi?
I'd have the same problem. The router upstairs still doesn't see the computers downstairs. The HTPC can see everyone, because it's connected via ethernet with the switch/downstairs computers, plus wireless with the upstairs.

I'd have the same problem. The router upstairs still doesn't see the computers downstairs. The HTPC can see everyone, because it's connected via ethernet with the switch/downstairs computers, plus wireless with the upstairs.

So the HTPC can see the computers upstairs?

So the HTPC can see the computers upstairs?
Yup. And it sees the ones on the switch downstairs, since it's also wired. But the other PCs on the switch can't see the computers upstairs. Drives me nuts trying to figure this out!

I'm sure I could just get an eight-port router, but there must be some software solution.

Edit: Maybe "bridge connections" is what I'm looking for? I'm not sure.

So you're using internet connection sharing on the HTPC? That's creating a separate subnet for your downstairs computers. Disable ICS and select the wireless and wired network adapters, right-click and do "Bridge Connections".

grab a 50ft cable and turn off the wireless on the htpc during lans.
Lol I don't know why I didn't think about that--thanks for reminding me! I have the cable, and I have an extension cord dropping over the balcony anyway (so I don't overload any one circuit). Might as well drop some cat-6 beside it.
So you're using internet connection sharing on the HTPC? That's creating a separate subnet for your downstairs computers. Disable ICS and select the wireless and wired network adapters, right-click and do "Bridge Connections".
Wow thanks for the info! This is exactly what I needed to know; it will get my system working exactly as described.

Lol I don't know why I didn't think about that--thanks for reminding me! I have the cable, and I have an extension cord dropping over the balcony anyway (so I don't overload any one circuit). Might as well drop some cat-6 beside it.

Wow thanks for the info! This is exactly what I needed to know; it will get my system working exactly as described.

excuse me ? where the hell do you live ? this is nuts, extension cord out the door and out side and plugged in down stairs WTF!

excuse me ? where the hell do you live ? this is nuts, extension cord out the door and out side and plugged in down stairs WTF!

Dude, you just called GG on your house if it rains. :eek:

Yeah, just bridge the wireless router to the wired router and plug cable from wireless router to switch.

Back