Bridge Mode Question

Hanakuso

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm currently on ATT UVerse with there combo modem/router and i'm planning on using my own router in bridge mode. My question, can I still use all the 4 RJ45 ports in the ATT modem/router. Is there any downsides to this idea.

My own router will act as a wifi router in the middle of my house, while the ATT modem/router will act as a wired router if that makes sense.

If you're going to bridge the ATT gateway (modem & router) then that usually disabled the DHCP & NAT features. You'd be better off with either using the ATT gateway as your main router and then run the secondary device as an access point for wireless. You could also bridge the ATT gateway with your router and keep them next to each other, then pick up an access point to put in the middle of the house.

Personally I just ran cable in the attic so that my gateway & router were in the middle of the house. Then dropped lines from that point into the rooms that needed a to be wired.

If you're going to bridge the ATT gateway (modem & router) then that usually disabled the DHCP & NAT features. You'd be better off with either using the ATT gateway as your main router and then run the secondary device as an access point for wireless. You could also bridge the ATT gateway with your router and keep them next to each other, then pick up an access point to put in the middle of the house.

Personally I just ran cable in the attic so that my gateway & router were in the middle of the house. Then dropped lines from that point into the rooms that needed a to be wired.
I kinda like the idea of running my own router as an access point, but doesn't that make things more complicated and more prone to issues? The house I live in is small enough where if I have the wifi router in the middle of the house, everywhere will get full signal. I can't put the ATT gateway in the middle though because some of the cables are too short.

Tell them to run their device in bridge mode and let your device handle everything.

Unfortunately, there is no bridge mode selection on the ATT UVerse gateways. He has two options

1) DMZ Plus mode. This will create two subnets though on his network, which doesn't sound he wants to do this.

2) Turn the Wireless Router into an AP. Disable DHCP and set the IP of the router to match the UVsere gateways network (192.168.1.10 e.g.) at the minimum, plug one ethernet cable into the LAN side of the router acting as a WAP, and that should be good.

I deal with uverse all the time.

What modem do you have and do you have their tv service?

Well shit. Another mark in the con column that will keep me away from AT&T. Lol

It's fine. I have the DMZ Plus setup at home with a Cisco firewall behind it, and it works as needed just fine. I use the ATT gateway for guest wireless, and my personal internal wireless behind the Cisco.

Honestly, almost all services are going this route. The new Comcast Cisco business gateways don't have a traditional bridge mode per se, you can still luckily assign an outside public IP to your firewall as long as the Comcast gateway is setup correctly. The Comcast gateway still acts as a L3 device, but will just pass information destined to your IP. For the most part these work fine, or DMZ solutions also work fine. I have only had one issue with VPNs over the years so far luckily, and that was a faulty device.

Back