Bricked Seagate ST3000DM001

atom

Gawd
If you know anything about this drive, you shouldn't be surprised. Pulled out of the GOFLEX Home after performance has been steadily degrading for a year. Threw it in the PC. First boot, drive not visible in OS Disk tools or UEFI. Second boot, drive visibile in UEFI, still no for Windows. Tried GPart on a 3rd attempt in which it failed to recognize the drive. Will not show up on the UEFI at all now.

I have a 128gb SSD which contains my Windows 8. Its full. I have two HDD which are 250gb, and 300gb. They are pretty full. I wanted to just buy a large drive to put it all on one drive, and upgrade to windows 10. I think since money is short now I could do that then also get a large SSD (1TB) later to put certain games and apps on that could benefit from the performance.

The ST3000 is 89 bucks on Amazon. Somebody talk me out of it and show me a better alternative. I can't find one. I know there are miracle workers though. Maybe somebody has an idea to fix the drive? That GOFLEX Home is like a freaking insulated hotbox, but maybe the firmware got screwed up or something. It was still working (shitty) before I ripped it out of there.

To make sure I understand right, you're thinking of buying another drive just like the one that failed?

Yes, I know it's eventual suicide but cash is really strapped right now.

that drive is mostly toast!

whats the warranty on it?

1 year? forget it.

I feel dumb now, because I didn't know what to search for. I was coming across WD's different drives but green was not one of them. I see quality is questionable, but it is certainly above the ST3000's. A little research though shows that this is not a 7200 rpm. I suppose I could slap all my media on it and keep the steam library on the Toshibas. I do a lot of torrenting though and the constant access is probably not practical with the greens. This is definitely what killed the last drive. Will ponder this idea for now.

Last edited:
My original Seagate 3TB lasted only 18 months before it died on me and it only had a 2 year warranty. I will never buy Seagate ever again, when the replacement dies i go full SSD FTW bye bye spinners /wave

Whatever you do, buy an internal drive meant for that purpose, not a drive in an external enclosure you rip out for internal use. The externals are binned drives, that meet specific tolerances (speeds, tolerances etc) that may meet the needs of the external device but may or may not be up to internal use.

If you can find the original seagate ST2000DM001-1CH164 W1E2xxxx / ST2000DM001-1CH164-S1E1xxxx drives they are the most reliable and best overall I have found. It HAS to be these 2.. They are also pretty fast and runs cool.. after going through like 10 different 2TB drives these were the only ones I found that is worth it..

if you buy 3T seagate baracuda.
make sure you DISABLE APM!!, too many head parking shorten the life.

i have 12 3T seagate baracude.. 4 was RMA last year ( due not disabling APM)..
as far as now, all are running under ZoL with APM disable script during boot-up.

btw, green WD is identical too. many head parking due on power saving
black WD is in the middle. I bought newer model this year, head parking is not grazy!!. well I just set to 254. and head parking is very less.

old blue WD (max is 1T) is the tank :D.. no messy power saving feature..
do not get cheated with WD blue desktop aka green WD inside..

I have toshiba 2T.. and head parking (power saving) not many as baracuda or wd green.

those are my experience only dealing numerous whatever the cheapest deal..
some of the drive are from USB external drive that taken out

Whatever you do, buy an internal drive meant for that purpose, not a drive in an external enclosure you rip out for internal use. The externals are binned drives, that meet specific tolerances (speeds, tolerances etc) that may meet the needs of the external device but may or may not be up to internal use.

He ripped it open when the drive was dying, not at the start.

Thanks for all the insight guys! This was definitely something I have not really put much thought into in the past. I've decided to get a WD Green drive, and store my media on there. I will clean out and reorganize the two Toshiba drives for my games and apps for now. More SSDs are in my future, or a decent size WD Black depending on how games are going in the future. I have read Arkham Knight has had less hitching on SSDs.

Another question, both of these drives have a windows installation on them that I cannot delete. Any workarounds? I may just have to reformat them.

Thanks for all the insight guys! This was definitely something I have not really put much thought into in the past. I've decided to get a WD Green drive, and store my media on there. I will clean out and reorganize the two Toshiba drives for my games and apps for now. More SSDs are in my future, or a decent size WD Black depending on how games are going in the future. I have read Arkham Knight has had less hitching on SSDs.

Another question, both of these drives have a windows installation on them that I cannot delete. Any workarounds? I may just have to reformat them.

WD green? when you are doing or running for hours.. do not forget to run a tool to not let the drive sleeping aka HD parking and unload load cycles cout will increase very quick.
unload load cycles will goes up very quick and shorten the drive

I see current drive use much on unload load cycles for home-user drives..
as I said, disable APM or make sleeping/power saving minimal.

actually I missed the old rdrive that did not APM/power saving and still have 15 500G drive running smoothly since 7 years ago on ZoL...

HGST drives seem to be really good.. less than 2% failure rates after 2 years overall over all drives. Thats less than the usual crib deaths let alone other factors..

backblaze says
The HGST 2TB drives we have running have been exceptional. After 4+ years of service their cumulative failure rate is just 1.9%. If you’re interested in a 2TB drive, the HGST drive, model HDS722020ALA330, has been an all-star performer for us and they are still available on Amazon for $56.43.

As far as 3TB drives go, we have replaced nearly all of our Seagate 3TB drives.
positive experience with the HGST 3TB drive (model HDS723030ALA640 and HDS5C3030ALA630

HGST drives seem to be really good.. less than 2% failure rates after 2 years overall over all drives. Thats less than the usual crib deaths let alone other factors..

backblaze says
The HGST 2TB drives we have running have been exceptional. After 4+ years of service their cumulative failure rate is just 1.9%. If you’re interested in a 2TB drive, the HGST drive, model HDS722020ALA330, has been an all-star performer for us and they are still available on Amazon for $56.43.

As far as 3TB drives go, we have replaced nearly all of our Seagate 3TB drives.
positive experience with the HGST 3TB drive (model HDS723030ALA640 and HDS5C3030ALA630

on my side:
if you read my posting, load-unload cycle kill fast.
as I mentioned, disable APM or make longer drive to perform power saving by parking/stop.,
HGST is not extreme in powersaving... as I know
seagate baracuda, WD green, WD blue desktop are extreme in powersaving.
when they mentioned "desktop" drive, power saving would be extreme.

the real stupid one is, no way to disable APM on seagate,
Yes.. the non-desktop has no APM or less aggressive configuration :D.
wdidle3 would changer APM configuration on WD drivess ( some say not all wd drives).

if you are running 24/7 or almost 24/day, you can use simple program to change APM...

I installed a init script to disable when seeing seagate Drive, or set to 254 when seeing WD, and do nothing on toshiba or hitachi(old drives).

has been using 15 drives. 4 drives before installing a init script for changing APM..
this has been running 1 .5 years...

on digesting failed drive, I saw many or big load-unload cycle!.

just my suggestion, whenever possible disable APM or make longer duration for power saving. this is easy with init script or a free windows program running on the background.

The load/unload cycle is not for power saving, I think it was done for safety reasons to park the heads to prevent data corruption. Spinning down the drive is for power saving, which saves like 3-5 watts.. Over all they dont save much unless you have a NAS type that is only used in the evenings and left on all the time. So these load/unload should not be happening except when the system is not being used for a while.

The load/unload cycle is not for power saving, I think it was done for safety reasons to park the heads to prevent data corruption. Spinning down the drive is for power saving, which saves like 3-5 watts.. Over all they dont save much unless you have a NAS type that is only used in the evenings and left on all the time. So these load/unload should not be happening except when the system is not being used for a while.

thi is indeed for power saving. park the drive and stop spinning...

if you do not believe me... disable APM, load/unload is very less.
on baracuda, I see only 2 time for 24/7.

when the drive will stop spinning, the head must be parked.

WD NAS is a hype in marketing too... with less unload/load (parking and stop/slower spinning) than green.

the best testing, you have 12-20 Drives, disable all APM (will disable head parking and stop/slower spinning). calcuate wattage usage for a day.. you know the result.

I really like Seagate Barracuda drives. The only hard drives I've ever had crash were Western Digitals, and, back in the day, Maxtors.

You do realize that you can park the heads but the drive will keep spinning? There are 2 separate commands to do it. Of course if you put the drive into standby mode it will park the heads and spin down. But the unloading cycle always does not spin down the drive. Seagate made a big deal out of it when they added this to their new version of drives by creating a special zone where the heads were outside the platter area... usually they are parked on the outer zone and not off the platter.. But I never seen much in the way of the specs outside of their marketing and advertising on it so I dont know which drives actually come with this feature.. They also added the covers to keep air turbulence down to reduce wobble. I seen some drives having them and some don't. And they dont publish the smart values to set for all this so it is all a trial and error on what values does what.

It sounds like on top of getting another drive, you need a better enclosure. If this is going to be an "always on" enclosure, get one with at least a fan.
I have a Rosewill enclosure that I use with 2x1TB laptop HDDs, but I only turn it on to do my backups.
I know people here tend to poo-poo on Seagate, I use nothing but and have had only 1 consumer drive die after 4 years of 24x7 operation. Monitoring temps is important though.

UPDATE:

I had some money come in that I forgot about and I ended up getting the MD04ACA500 5tb Toshiba. I will post pictures later of the terrible packing job Amazon did. The Toshiba box itself is really well packed and probably saved the drive. Yes, this drive is loud. Not loud when spinning, but has that early 90's hard drive sound when being accessed. If that bothers you, you might want to go with the WD.

Here is a Benchmark:
hddbench.png

156.9 Seq Read
145.7 Seq Write
6.2 Random R/W

You do realize that you can park the heads but the drive will keep spinning? There are 2 separate commands to do it. Of course if you put the drive into standby mode it will park the heads and spin down. But the unloading cycle always does not spin down the drive. Seagate made a big deal out of it when they added this to their new version of drives by creating a special zone where the heads were outside the platter area... usually they are parked on the outer zone and not off the platter.. But I never seen much in the way of the specs outside of their marketing and advertising on it so I dont know which drives actually come with this feature.. They also added the covers to keep air turbulence down to reduce wobble. I seen some drives having them and some don't. And they dont publish the smart values to set for all this so it is all a trial and error on what values does what.

check the default behaviour on unload/load cycle :D on baracuda

they would spin-down if possible :p...
park and spin-down seagate style :

I would assume, newer seagates do not follow baracuda fate that lead early death due on unload/load cycle while running 24/7

correct on my understanding.
some smart values are keep from them self :D..
trial and error is the only way.

last bought on newe WD black. the best way to reduce load/unload much ( not worse than baracuda) is to set 254 value, not many unload/load.
those black is running raid 1 under baremetal machine.

I tested newer wd black, yes... they indeed spin-down when unload/load cycle happens :p..

Back