Bricked custom NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti GPUs during the game Diablo IV

erek

[H]F Junkie
Shades of Amazon New Wrld again

“In that case, you can limit (cap) the framerate on your graphics card through the company's "Control Panel" application. After opening the application, locate the "3D Settings" tab on the left and "Manage 3D settings." Once you select that option, a window of options appears to the right of the menu, offering adjustments that could be made for "Global" and "Program Settings." Staying in the "Global Settings" option, locate the "Max Frame Rate" selection, and select your preference of framerate.

Please keep in mind that any settings you change on your system will have a possibility of causing the system or software to run improperly. Always back up your data before making any changes to your system. If unsure how this will affect your system, do not immediately make any changes without realizing the consequences.”

Source: https://wccftech.com/diablo-ivs-mon...r-killing-your-gpu-but-high-framerates-might/

saw that yesterday, didnt know where to post it...
same issue as new world, i think, massive fps spikes into the thousands and something on the pcb just isnt built for it. simplest solution is the suggested fps cap via nv control panel or even afterburner. "back up your data before adding frame limits" is kind of stupid though...

How is it things like this get past testing from the Diablo team? LIke they all using ancient GPU's or something...

Weird that its only seemingly affecting a single SKU of GPU. It's rare enough that i'm gonna partially blame this on User Error or maybe something involved with gigabytes software or manufacturing.

The AMD GPU is probably just a bad-luck one-off.

Weird that its only seemingly affecting a single SKU of GPU. It's rare enough that i'm gonna partially blame this on User Error or maybe something involved with gigabytes software or manufacturing.

The AMD GPU is probably just a bad-luck one-off.
I believe the same. I played last weekend's beta on an EVGA 3090 (known for blowing up on New World) and it was fine but I did get a ton of out of memory errors which I think is hysterical. I assume they will fix this before release but we will see if they patched anything for tomorrow.

This happened with the 3090's and New World, turned out to be bad regulators and they would pop that was almost an exclusive EVGA problem though, wouldn't be too supprised if it popped up in other cases as well.

That is unfortunate, I hope those cards are under warranty. Good time to learn about limiting FPS, never know when you will come across those menus/scenes with uncapped frames that might stress your card harder than Crysis…

Guys it ain't high frame rates. It's a new game that stresses the GPU differently, which means your GPU was probably going to die anyway. Nvidia GPU's are plagued with bad VRAM and poor quality components in general. Just look at all the repair YouTube channels and RTX GPU's are constantly needing repairs.

That is unfortunate, I hope those cards are under warranty. Good time to learn about limiting FPS, never know when you will come across those menus/scenes with uncapped frames that might stress your card harder than Crysis…

I don't buy this as a thing you should ever need to give a fuck about. Your card spinning at 100% should never be damaging.

I don't buy this as a thing you should ever need to give a fuck about. Your card spinning at 100% should never be damaging.
Agreed. Lots of games have super high fps at certain screens. I remember PUBG had it in the EA days. Not something I ever worry about.

Overall I agree, no one should accept their $1600 card will die on a cut scene, game menus,

I would recommend anyone who owns a vulnerable card to blow it up and get it repaired/replaced with something that works correctly. But…. If they don’t have a warranty. Why should they not look at putting possible mitigations in place to help prevent their card from dying?

Overall I agree, no one should accept their $1600 card will die on a cut scene, game menus,

I would recommend anyone who owns a vulnerable card to blow it up and get it repaired/replaced with something that works correctly. But…. If they don’t have a warranty. Why should they not look at putting possible mitigations in place to help prevent their card from dying?
First thing I would do and have done is replace the thermal compound and pads on the card. Most of the time if a GPU dies, it died from too much heat. Not necessarily the GPU chip itself, but VRM's and other components on the card. Usually because the thermal pads are either too thick or too thin, and the back plate has no thermal pads at all, which just acts like a hot pocket. One of the things I plan to do is replace the thermal pads on my Vega 56 and R9 Fury with K4-PRO and replace the thermal grizzly kryonaut I put on years ago with something that doesn't dry up and goes bad so quickly.

Agreed, only thing I would probably give a fuck about is your GPU using 300+ watts when it could do the same job acceptably at 50 watts, which is why I would frame limit.

First thing I would do and have done is replace the thermal compound and pads on the card. Most of the time if a GPU dies, it died from too much heat. Not necessarily the GPU chip itself, but VRM's and other components on the card. Usually because the thermal pads are either too thick or too thin, and the back plate has no thermal pads at all, which just acts like a hot pocket. One of the things I plan to do is replace the thermal pads on my Vega 56 and R9 Fury with K4-PRO and replace the thermal grizzly kryonaut I put on years ago with something that doesn't dry up and goes bad so quickly.
I am interested in what Gigabyte will say, but I am unsure if it has been identified since it's pretty early. My current search results are... D4 bricked my card, D4 will brick your 3080 Ti, my card was submitted for RMA, and I cannot reach the Gigabytes RMA site. I assume that it will be a repeat of EVGA's issues.

As for replacing thermal pads, I guess it would depend on what the reviews say/personal experience with the card.

So apparently the 3080TI’s have a various overcurrent protections, D4 has been tripping them. There is a reset process for them, some cards you need to reset the bios, others have a switch, but it doesn’t appear that the cards are BRICKED bricked, just Bricked. So there’s that at the very least.

Didn't StarCraft 2 do this as well?
I believe so, the title screen before you go into a game I remember hearing my video card fans ramp up like crazy and it was one of those things you didn't want to walk away to do something first otherwise your card would get quite toasty running at 100%, which ironically the game itself often didn't tax the card quite as much. I do recall seeing this behavior with other games too, not sure what it is but programmers don't care if a mostly static screen refreshes 400 times a second (or whatever your card can handle) for no reason other than it does

Back