Breaking Up with the Xbox 360

Terry Olaes

I Used to be the [H] News Guy
What a tagline: If the Xbox 360 was your girlfriend, she’d be an unstable, high-maintenance gold-digger. Check out the rest of the article to see the break-up letter. Some interesting points are made in it, that’s for sure.

I dumped PlayStation 2 for you on the spot. She was pissed, but I didn't care: it was love at first sight. For a while, everything was perfect. The online gaming, the awesome graphics, the constant stream of kickass games: it was like a dream come true. But then you started to change.

It is funny and has valid points... but it sounds like a viral marketing attempt by Sony to drop their Xbox 360's and purchase playstations.

Maybe MS puts those high prices on their Xbox and services because people will pay for them?

I picked the ps3 over the xbox for those same reasons. Both consoles are killer, but I'm cheap and cant afford the extra xbox costs.

Funny article.

I have a PS3 and an xbox... PS3 gets used for blu-rays. That's about it.

An XBox loving friend gave me an x-box console w/ nothing else, no PSU, no cables, no controller, etc... He thought he'd get me into gaming on x-box live and we could play there (his PC is crap and can't run COD4). After looking and looking and looking I managed to find a used PSU for $28, a third-rate cable for $20, and bought a new wireless controller for $40. And I still need a HDD and wifi adapter!!! Needless to say the x-box is in my kids room with two games, Guitar Hero and Rock Band. They play the Wii fifty-times as much...

Really didn't know MS was ramming people up the rear so badly with this x-box. And it still can't compare or compete with PC gaming. My friend just keeps telling me it has better graphics then the Wii. Tell it to my kids, I have a PC.

If gaming devices were girlfriends I would be the luckiest guy in the world....

My PS3 is on top of my Xbox, which is on top of my PC, and I am playing with all three at once. (Watching Blu-Ray on PS3, playing Magic on the Xbox, and browsing the internet on my PC.)

Don't know why anyone would break up with their Xbox just because they have a PS3. Enjoy them both while they are still young and hot.

This is the biggest waste of reading time I've ever had.

Xbox Live Gold - People are on it - huge plus. Not to mention the service actually offers a multitude of things available to you, like Netflix, gaming events you can sign up for, and even tips and tricks for just about every game you play. You have full multiplayer access to every game that has multplayer, you get early demo access for free, and you can even purchase original Xbox and now 360 titles and download them straight to the hard drive. When you can download PS1 or PS2 games to the PS3, I'll start taking PSN more seriously, because that would be a feature I'd care about.

Wireless adapter - if you're playing wirelessly without an absolute need to for ANY non-handheld gaming platform you use, and running cat5 to it is not an option, I feel sorry for you. Otherwise, get off your lazy ass and run that shit. Are you seriously going to deal with signal issues for the sake of convenience? I wouldn't. If you have great signal, good for you. Not everyone does. I know two people who don't have the option to run cable, and they hate it.

Facebook and twitter access - Your social networking is already going on in multiplayer. You already have mobile access through your cellphone. If you need to seriously stay that connected to your friends, try hanging out with them for a change.

RRoD - Jasper fixed this for the most part, to my knowledge. The signs of a Jasper unit are damn near drawn out in crayon all over the net. If you can't figure out how to grab one by now, that's your own damn fault. I had a non-Jasper unit before this one and it never RRoD'ed. The reason I traded it in was because the disc drive gave out.

Now here are points that I will make about WHY you would want a PS3:

- Blu-Ray playback with upgradable firmware to make sure you're always at the newest standard.
- The ability to use a bluetooth headset of your choice rather than a proprietary or third party one. People seem to have great luck with the Jawbone series. Even I am envious of this fact.
- Folding - it's nice to have another means to do something nice. especially if you need to free up your PC CPU cycles for something.
- Free online gaming - Better than paying $50 a year, sure, but when you're putting nothing into something, I have to wonder who's picking up the tab to keep it running, and how much say you get for using it.
- Put in your own hard drive - I love that concept the best. The proprietary hard drive deal with the Xbox 360 is very lame. I won't deny that at all.

Oh boy, this ought to whip xbox360 fans into a frenzy. Awaiting fireworks :p

W/E Do you really need to access Fb and twitter while you game? Get off the X if you NEED to 130 character your thoughts to your homies-its called PAUSE. Plus, anything you purchase for entertainment usally has maintence costs, gaming console,->games& accessories, pc->upgrage &software, women ->nvm.

I know someone whos had their 360 finally rrod. He's getting rid of it and selling some of his game to play his PS3 more. No online cost, lost of great games coming out.

I have both a ps3 and 360... I use the 360 for my gaming fix and the PS3 to play all kinds of media that the 360 will not. I don't think I could be happy without both ladies :D

I picked the ps3 over the xbox for those same reasons. Both consoles are killer, but I'm cheap and cant afford the extra xbox costs.

Funny article.

That, and the PS3 does more.

If you want to do anything more than gaming, the 360 is worthless. However with the PS3 it's also a full computer (put Linux on it), a Bluray player, a Media Center, and a game console.

It's not exactly easy to fill up a 360 hard drive quicky. 60GB is a lot of space unless you're downloading tons of demos, movies and games. The PS3 had a starting price tag of $499, right? It's $399 for the regular one I think. You can easily get an Arcade console for $200, with a $70-$100 wireless adapter and a 120GB HDD for around the same price. All you have to do is search around.

It's not exactly easy to fill up a 360 hard drive quicky. 60GB is a lot of space unless you're downloading tons of demos, movies and games. The PS3 had a starting price tag of $499, right? It's $399 for the regular one I think. You can easily get an Arcade console for $200, with a $70-$100 wireless adapter and a 120GB HDD for around the same price. All you have to do is search around.

Actually 120GB PS3 which have built in wireless and will play Bru-Ray are $299.

To those of us who own multiple consoles, this article is just an amusing read good for a chuckle. Apparently from a few post's it sends the 360 only die hards into a foaming at the mouth frenzy.

XBox360 = Unstable, High Maintenance Gold Digger
PS3 = Socially Akward, Rarely puts out, Ritch Bitch
Wii = Fun loving, mosquito bite breasted 15 year old that loves pointless accessories.

PC = High Dollar Whore that always gives you your money's worth.

Yeah, now. It hasn't always been that way, has it?

Xbox 360 Arcades havent always been $199

when launched the "core" system was $299 and the pro was $399

you cant compare current prices vs past

I recently "broke up" with my Xbox 360. After I got my most recent Xbox 360 and it RROD'd on me, that was it. It was my 4th 360. I owned a launch unit (that I waited in line for, for over 13 hours), and after about 2 years, it finally died on me. First replacement RROD'd within 4 days. The 2nd replacement died a couple months later, after I had sold it to a friend 'cause I was having financial issues. So that was three 360's that I'd owned that broke down. Fast forward to 4 months ago, I decided to get back in the game and buy another 360 seeing as to how I missed out on GoW 2, Resident Evil 5, Silent Hill 5, and Halo wars. It RROD'd on me a month and a half later. I thought by now they would be ok...but I guess they still don't have it right. I love the 360...it's operating system (NXE), Xbox Live and all it's functionality, the games for 360, etc - but after 4 consoles, I'm done.

Wii = Fun loving, mosquito bite breasted 15 year old that loves pointless accessories.

Well I was gonna say something but after seeing this...OMG...heheh,

quoting from the original article:

"I know I said I’d never go back to her, but she’s like a completely different console. When she lost all that weight, I couldn’t help myself — I just had to get my hands on her. Free online gaming, inbuilt WiFi, Blu-ray movies and reliable hardware... "

Seems like the PS3 is not so far out on RROD behavior either, as posted by Steve:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/watchdog/2009/09/playstation3_and_the_yellow_li.html

The baking procedure described there , if I remember correctly was also posted by one of this forum members some time ago as a way to fix his NVIDA GPU wasn't it?

I had a 2005 360 RROD on me so I know what you're talking about. It just seems their "life cycle" is meant to be much shorter than you think:

"Should electronic products last more than a year? Would you pay more for longer lasting products?"

I recently "broke up" with my Xbox 360. After I got my most recent Xbox 360 and it RROD'd on me, that was it. It was my 4th 360. I owned a launch unit (that I waited in line for, for over 13 hours), and after about 2 years, it finally died on me. First replacement RROD'd within 4 days. The 2nd replacement died a couple months later, after I had sold it to a friend 'cause I was having financial issues. So that was three 360's that I'd owned that broke down. Fast forward to 4 months ago, I decided to get back in the game and buy another 360 seeing as to how I missed out on GoW 2, Resident Evil 5, Silent Hill 5, and Halo wars. It RROD'd on me a month and a half later. I thought by now they would be ok...but I guess they still don't have it right. I love the 360...it's operating system (NXE), Xbox Live and all it's functionality, the games for 360, etc - but after 4 consoles, I'm done.

I remember plug in in my 360 at a friend's house for the first time and watching the How it was done video. i specially remember the part of the interview on the Mechanical engineer that did the Thermal design and how much effort he put into doing it right. I guess it wasn't that right.

I remember plug in in my 360 at a friend's house for the first time and watching the How it was done video. i specially remember the part of the interview on the Mechanical engineer that did the Thermal design and how much effort he put into doing it right. I guess it wasn't that right.

Ha! I remember that video, too. :(

you just summed up the console war in 4 lines (5 with a space)

you sir are the win in this thread.

It has vaild points, I'm on my 3rd 360 and having to pay for live access sucks, plus the wifi card (skipped it).

I haven't tried many games on the ps3, use it for blu-ray only at this point, but those are vaild points!

Having to pay for live access is great when you compare it to the PS3's online service. I wish I could pay 50 dollars a month for PSN if it was actually good.

I have 4 Xbox 360s, 2 of them are firmware hacked because i trust them so much. I've never experienced a RROD or E74 and neither have my friends or anyone i know. To me RROD and E74 seem made up, today's consoles are stable and anyone that isn't a retard would know that. People who want gaming go 360, if you want a ps3 you probably have it for mainly for media. If you bought the ps3 for games, then you're more than likely a fanboy who didn't read his facts up.

XBOX 360 for games
PS3 for movies
Wii for when the family comes over
PC for just about anything compatible with 3D Vision
Prostitution to pay for it all.

Excuse me, I've got to get to work.

I have 4 Xbox 360s, 2 of them are firmware hacked because i trust them so much. I've never experienced a RROD or E74 and neither have my friends or anyone i know. To me RROD and E74 seem made up, today's consoles are stable and anyone that isn't a retard would know that. People who want gaming go 360, if you want a ps3 you probably have it for mainly for media. If you bought the ps3 for games, then you're more than likely a fanboy who didn't read his facts up.

Wow. I don't think I've read such an ignorant, biased opinion on this forum in the past 2 years. You and all 6 of your friends haven't had an RRoD, so either it's a false rumor, or everyone, including myself, is retarded? I won't even get started on the ps3 comment. You, sir, are so full of win its unbelievable. Do me a favor and follow these steps:

Click the 8th link on the red bar above ^
Press Alt + D on your keyboard
Type www.genmay.com
Enjoy the rest of your ignorant life.

P.S. Please don't reproduce

Is it just me or did the article make the PS3 look like that cool fat chick that you always wanted to do but couldn't admit to it openly? Then after losing all that weight she became the hottest girl in the room.

Funny article.

Me too, although unlike some it took 6 ROD's for me to finally give up completely.

selling all my xbox stuff minus the controllers, putting the money towards a PS3, and never looking back....

If you play online you will look back real fast.

The only game I've ever played on PS3 that was hard to find an online game in is Soul Calibur 4.

I can't get through 10 seconds of a street fighter round without being challenged.

Anyways, I like my system. It's fun to play. I see a lot of people here say they only use it for blu-ray. That's a shame.

Back