Breaking into the industry...

That Linux Guy

Limp Gawd
I wasn't sure if this should be in the Resume Thread or not, so I started a separate thread. If any mod or admin sees this as wrong, I'm sorry and would appreciate the move.

Now on with the topic. I've been aiming high at a job as a UNIX/Linux Net/Sys-Admin position, but this is my goal. I'm soon to be 22, but I've been reading every book, blog, whitepaper, and web-page on the topics of Linux and networking since 2005, in addition to using my home network as a test-bed for learning different network services. I've experience and skills working with Postfix, Dovecot, dhcp3, BIND9, and Apache, as well as Linux in general. I also have my Network+ certification, and have a working knowledge of WIndows (XP and 2k3). FWIW, I've been building and fixing since 2003 also.

I know my skill set isn't up near where it needs to be the get my dream job, but I think it's sufficient for a Jr Admin, Help Desk, or DST position at least. These are what I'm looking for.

While my skills aren't really my current concern, they're the best thing I have. My education and job experience are my weak points. My education consists of a GED, and my job history is complicated to put it best, but I've had 9 jobs since 2005, none of which were the caliber of job I'm looking for. It's been mostly grocery store and fast-food experience, though I've did work for PC Club computers as a tech/sales associate, and at Best Buy as a salesman. My lack of a diploma, and my job history are easily explained, but I can't really explain myself on a resume, and I doubt that any HR person or IT director who sees my resume will give it a second look after seeing that my last job will have been at Wendy's.

I'm looking for advice on how to go about writing a resume for someone with my credentials. I've asked friends and family about resumes and I get several different responses. Most of the online advice seem to be generic or aimed at students/grads.

Any advice guys? Thank you for reading.

Currently, I'm in the greater Detroit area, but my fiance' and I are looking to move to either Gainesville, FL or Santa Rosa, CA. I've been looking at jobs in the Gainesvill/Ocala/Jacksonville area as well as the North-Bay Area and into San Francisco.

Just wanted to chime in as I'm in somewhat of a similar position. Definitely spend some time reading the resume thread, I've tweaked mine more times than I can remember according to the advice and now I'm getting at least some calls. Like you, I don't have an IT degree and my last job wasn't remotely IT related, but after converting to a skills based resume, I was able to highlight my abilities and downplay the unnecessary stuff.

I've got the written exam for a Desktop Support position at the local school district tomorrow and needless to say I'm more than a little excited, even if it's just the first step. Don't give up, always look ahead, and apply to every job opening you see!

might look into taking a call center position at an ISP or similar and then move into Helpdesk, then jr. Systems administration?

I personally did consulting work for a while with a reputable company (all SMB/SME), then moved into Hell-desk, then got into Systems Administration, then moved into IT management (pay kinda tops out in systems administration without going for a lot of certs, usually plenty of cash in management)

I'm not a resume expert, but have seen quite a few. Some of them come with experience and accomplishments listed first as opposed to the chronological-by-job order most use. Usually these are resumes of very experienced people, but it might work better for you. Of course, you have to have enough things to list that you've done in the IT field.

Back