brandname powersupply vs generic

XBLiNKX

[H]ard|Gawd
Is it really worth speeding extra on a brandname powersupply compared to those cheap ones that come with alot of cases?

Originally posted by XBLiNKX
Is it really worth speeding extra on a brandname powersupply compared to those cheap ones that come with alot of cases?

Certainly. A bad PSU that has some rail problems with the voltages is much more likely to die.....

...oh, and take some of your nice shiny hardware with it.

I learned my lesson from generic PSU, almost started a fire. Antec and true power from now on.

I have an antec one and have no problems with it. I just know people who say its stupid to buy brand name power supplies and I wanted reasons to tell them its a good idea.

Whichever generic one that is in my case is great. I've never had a problem, but I will eventually get a nicer one, for peace of mind.

Well, the generic 'Deer' PSU (made by Foxconn) that came with my case works alright but I'm probably going to be replacing it with an Antec True 430w soon because it's kinda screwing with my ability to overclock. Basically I have to set my CPU voltage higher than it really needs to be because whenever any load is put on the CPU the rails drop a lot (below what is needed to keep the CPU stable) and this leads to unneeded heat being produced when the CPU isn't under full load. So, yeah, I'd recommend going with a good PSU (Antec, Sparkle/Fortron, Enermax, Vantech, etc.).

After having one generic PSU short out on me and almost take my motherboard with it, a name you can trust is ALWAYS the way to go.

I have always been extremely hesitant to jump on a bandwagon with a name like Antec, but after giving them a shot with my latest PSU, a TruBlue (Truepower series) 480 Watt, I've never been more satisfied with my steady rail voltages and stability.

I had an old Deer case that came with a 330W PSU and that is the one that sparked. Never making the mistake of going cheap on something so important again. I hope you choose the same path...

Dark Assassin

Back