• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Brand Recommendations for LCD Monitors

threedd97

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 16, 2004
Messages
492
Keep in mind I'm not a millionaire so recommend brands within the $1,000 price range. It'll be used for Photoshop and web design and gaming.
 
Depending on size I would recomend Dell 2405 for the 24 inch widescreen effect

Samsung for pannels larger than that

For a nice budget 21 inch widescreen I would recomend the Gateway fpd2185W
 
I can't argue with that, This is true. The apple cinema displays are uber. in the 20 inch range I still recomend Gateway or dell 24 inches Dell 2405 anything above that look into apple as well. But as a warning be very careful. Although the apple 30 inch are AMAZING sometimes they dont work well with some videocards as their EDID's are not fully programmed at times and some videocards have a problem with them. It's not often but I do tech support and ran into the problem from time to time. Not trying to scare ya just want you to be aware of a small chance of a problem. Do heavy research on the new cinema displays on your vid card before buying.
 
threedd97 said:
Keep in mind I'm not a millionaire so recommend brands within the $1,000 price range. It'll be used for Photoshop and web design and gaming.
I'd go for the Dell 2405FPW. I picked mine up for $744 with free shipping last week. It is the best bang for your buck out there. The Dell 2005FPW was around $390 or so, so you could get two. This is assuming the Dell deals are still going on. Don't go Apple (overpriced) unless you really like the look of them - the Dell's offer more features and a better warranty.
 
rob said:
...- the Dell's offer more features and a better warranty.

That is if you can get one that works properly. I'd say from the posts here and my own experience that we have 50/50 success ratio. There are some problems with dead pixels or backlight bleeding.
I personally returned 2405 even though it was perfect, no dead pixels or backlight problems, however I could not stand bad color wash at angles and the shiny silverish look of grays.
I just gave up on 2001fp after going through 3 replacement, each one with worse backlight problem than the previous one. Mind you those were brand new never opened, not refurbs.
Some people may get bothered by that deficiencies, some not.
Than again there seems to be fair number of folks who got perfect ones and are quite happy with them. I wouldn't go by brand but rather by particular model that suits my needs.
As usual YMMV.
 
If you're serious about your design work, shouldn't you be getting a CRT so that you have better contrast and color?
 
I think you can get the Dell 2405FPW for about $780 right now. If I had a grand to spend on a monitor, that's what I would get.
 
mikeblas said:
If you're serious about your design work, shouldn't you be getting a CRT so that you have better contrast and color?

I do have Sony G520 21" trinitron, however I still like to have a LCD for all general work. Text and web pages generally do look sharper on a LCD.
Color wash and bad backlight prevents enjoyment in ANY work or gaming, not just serious work.
 
I have had success with the CMV brand of LCD displays (namely the 17"). No dead pixels, ghosting, etc.

Hope that helps!
 
I have a 17" CRT as well, but I don't think current LCD's are going to hinder design work on websites for me. I want the sleeker design, the space that's saved, and I think everything just looks sharper and cleaner on LCD's. Plus CRT's emit so much heat.
 
Back
Top