Brand new to crypto just looking for advise

audi911

n00b
Good evening everyone,
I am brand new to the world of crypto (yes I'm late)
I am looking to understand what kind of mining I should start doing.
I am debating between GPU and CPU mining. I have many PCs that I can use to CPU mine and a few GPUs that I can use.
How would I go about starting this up, I've seen many threads and Youtube videos on how to build a rig but I am curious to know if there is one program that is better than others if I want to mine with CPU or GPU and how complicated it is to set up.
I won't be opposed to replying to IMs also.
Thanks very much in advance everyone.
PS I saw a post recently on Youtube of a Canadian guy who compared GPU to CPU and CPU was winning but it's not clear what program he is using, or if his PCs are linked together or if they are independant.
Thanks!

Cpus arnt winning on anything. I have a few rare cpus rigs that beat the cost of electricity (not by much) and only because I already had them.

Either buy crypto right now or when its low and hold it or wait for crypto to stay low (if it does) and eventually buy cheap gpus. Those are the only ways I see the possibility of making a few bucks off mining at this point. I would lean to just buying crypto if you dont know what you're doing.

I second that. Buy Layer 1 coins when it seems the market has stabilized at the bottom of this dip which appears to be now'ish and hold.

I probably should have been clearer on my original post.
My goal isnt to become a millionaire on this, its to learn how it works. To build it and see it in action. You are both right i dont know what im doing, buying coins will not teach me to know what to do.
I am looking for advice on how to get started and not what the best move to enter the market is.

I hope that makes sense Without being rude.

I have gpus
I have a 1050 that i can tinker with
I have an lhr 3080 which i may not opt to use
And a 3080ti fhr
I also have some older gpus that i can play around with to test around.

That is also why i asked a out cpu mining, i have many cpus that i can make use of

Thanks

audi911 I've got to say absolutely everything about your post seems as if a troll. How are you not able to research the simplest of things on your own?
Get your gtx1050 in a working machine. Download Verthash One Click Miner. Install and start mining. I would recommend you install some software like Afterburner and tweak your card as fast as possible focusing on the memory.

Hello Funkydmunky,
Have you ever been in a classroom and raised your hand and asked a question to where the teacher says, "Why are you in this class if you don't know how to read the textbook and learn by yourself"
If a forum exists to help people, why would you actively tell someone RTFM without giving any guidance?
In fact, the first part of this reply addresses your RTFM comment. I do say thank you for your second part (there is actual guidance in the latter part of your reply).
Is Verthash One Click Miner the software that is most used to mining? Is Afterburner the most used GPU tweaker?
I'm looking to understand what the different softwares do, what the best ones are, if there is significant differences between mining with a GPU over a CPU (as far as I know GPU is much better but CPU can be done also)
Are there more "advanced" ways of mining or does everyone who mines (be it GPU or CPU) all use the same software, same setup, same everything?
Thanks!

Hello Funkydmunky,
Have you ever been in a classroom and raised your hand and asked a question to where the teacher says, "Why are you in this class if you don't know how to read the textbook and learn by yourself"
If a forum exists to help people, why would you actively tell someone RTFM without giving any guidance?
In fact, the first part of this reply addresses your RTFM comment. I do say thank you for your second part (there is actual guidance in the latter part of your reply).
Is Verthash One Click Miner the software that is most used to mining? Is Afterburner the most used GPU tweaker?
I'm looking to understand what the different softwares do, what the best ones are, if there is significant differences between mining with a GPU over a CPU (as far as I know GPU is much better but CPU can be done also)
Are there more "advanced" ways of mining or does everyone who mines (be it GPU or CPU) all use the same software, same setup, same everything?
Thanks!

Recently there has been an influx of completely clueless newcomers asking questions that can be googled in 5 seconds. Additionally, since mining is a zero sum game every person we help actually hurts our profits. So there's no need to come into a new place begging for answers to basic questions and then attacking people who call you out. Spend a little bit of time researching your options and then come back maybe. If you compare a few different options and bring back up to date comparisons then someone who's been using that software for awhile might be more willing to help by providing their experience with the pros/cons of each.

If you just want to tinker, setup each one of those GPUs in a separate computer without a monitor and learn how to manage them remotely. That will help you out later on if you want to get into mining more.

It doesn't look like he called me out on anything really. But, I could be wrong but I am unaware of any forums that were not meant to help people out. That being said, I don't recall begging for anything I simply asked some really basic questions which I thought a human being would be able to answer. Normally communities are made to help out regardless the question and not say "RTFM" maybe Hardforum.com is different I don't know. I would even argue that a very helpful way of helping people out would actually be to show someone the manual and not say "Go find it"
It's like going to a library and asking how to find a book and the librarian says "Go learn how to use a library before you come in one"
I literally googled "crypto forums" and this came up as a first hit.
Anyhow, this thread is obviously turning into something that it wasn't supposed to be, I asked for help and didn't get anything concrete other than the post above which I appreciate. Perhaps a moderator should close this thread down because it doesn't look like there will be anything of value that might come out of this. It looks like people who will answer will all jump on the bandwagon of "you fall into the influx of useless people so no help here" which wasn't the point of this thread.
Again, I appreciate the answers, if anyone would like to shoot me a PM or just help out that's great otherwise I wish you all a great week!

PS: Thanks for the advice Andrew_Carr, I will go hunt for options even though I don't know what they are. I'll try to do some offsite research.

audi911

I've been out of the game for a long time but here's what I know RE: software

For awhile now, a lot of people have been getting into mining through nicehash. Theyve developped mining software that looks through your rigs hardware and auto selects the most profitable coin to mine at any given moment. They pay you in Bitcoin. Under the hood, the application pulls in all the miners it needs to be able to switch mining from one coin to another (known as algorithms). This is brain-dead simple as it essentially only requires a capable machine and the ability to download and execute their program.

If that's something too abstract for you, the next option would be finding a coin you want to mine exclusively. Instead of using nicehash, you need to find the mining software (simply called miner) for that coin. You can find them by googling, Reddit, bitcointalk.org, and so on. Some work well, others less, and some are malware. So you need to be vigilant too. Not everyone uses the same software and some miners even have deals with developers to get exclusive versions of miners that perform better than those released publicly. I guess the key is finding something stable and safe. Developers pay themselves by taking what's called a devFee which sometimes is as simple as having your rig mine on their behalf for a small amount of time at regular intervals

One of the most famous miner developers that I know of went by the name of Claymore and he/she wrote tons of high performance miners for the longest time and I think disappeared. They collected pretty steep devfees the whole 10 or so years they were developing so I imagine they've bought a small country somewhere by now and sleep on a bed of money.

Finally, I've used some miners that are sortve like Nicehashes solution where they autoselect coins to mine without converting everything back to BTC. RainbowMiner was the last one I checked out and it was pretty badass but a lot of configuration is required to get meaningful results

just start with Nicehash. its easy to start and figure it out. eventually you end up where you want more and then you have to start working to figure it out but you could just keep adding cards to NH and let it go.

Back