Brand Integrity Stickies

TSS Modder

2[H]4U
i think that the forum should have a 'Brand Integrity' sticky in every subforum pertaining to a specific piece of hardware.

in case you dont understand what im saying:

under Motherboards, there would be a sticky that says 'Motherboard Manufacturer Integrity' or something like that. then, within that sticky, there would be a general list of every single motherboard manufacturer, and their Pros and Cons.

so if a mobo manufacturer makes good products, but has relatively poor customer service, then thatd be noted. and then thered be a list of the company's 'perks.'

the only issue is that, for the most part, the sticky would be based on opinions. but if enough people agree on the same issue, then itd become a 'fact.'

of course, there would probably have to be a moderator to keep control of the threads, because we dont want flame wars starting. i guess strict rules would have to be laid down at the beginning of the thread.

just an idea that ive been wantin to get out for a while, instead of having these repetitive 'which brand should i buy' threads.

TSS Modder said:
the only issue is that, for the most part, the sticky would be based on opinions. but if enough people agree on the same issue, then itd become a 'fact.'
You can add a million identical opinions together and still not have a fact. Facts and opinions are two entirely different concepts.

I don't think we need to generalize product experiences into "brands". A lot of companies do some things well and other things poorly, and because of this rating a brand overall would give the wrong impression about all of the products of that company.

well the idea is good, but I atleast would still want info on particular motherboards.

Sure in general some brands are better than others, but then you take a company like ECS. Generally unreliable, but the K7S5A was a very good/cheap/popular board. I personally built 4 or 5 cheapo systems for people with it.

And you take a more reliable brand like Asus or whatever and they can still make a crappy board.

We have sticked FAQs in many forums... people still ignore them and start new threads about "what do you think of this product?" anyway.

In actuality, that is what the main page does. It reviews just about anything and everything or links to other sites that have had reviews. I think that would be sufficient for the hobbiest or enthusiast....anything further would be pretty much spoon fed pap and would eventually turn into a 'my board is better than your board' thread :cool:

TSS Modder said:
i think that the forum should have a 'Brand Integrity' sticky in every subforum pertaining to a specific piece of hardware.

under Motherboards, there would be a sticky that says 'Motherboard Manufacturer Integrity' or something like that. then, within that sticky, there would be a general list of every single motherboard manufacturer, and their Pros and Cons.
There's already one of these things...let me put it to ya in steps:

1. Google
2. [insert product name/numbers here] review
3. Read away at numerous reviews

At least that's what *I* always do...seems to work for me...and if I still have more questions I'd create a thread in the appropriate section of this forum...

there are great number of "brand integrity" FAQs
In the forums I mod they are developed and maintained by members
and are thus "unofficial" (while the "official" faqs are less opinion more technically oriented)
feel free to develop one for the forum of your choice :p

but be aware concensus is hard to build
and statistical anomalies rife in any small sample
especially with the typically large number of variables that invetiably crop up

Back