• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

boy, did I get a dud for a CPU.... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

ozziegn

The man behind the curtain...
Joined
Jan 13, 2001
Messages
17,533
okay, so I decided to order a 3.2C Northwood in hopes to maybe get near the 4Ghz range because my current 2.8C has pretty much topped out at 3.5Ghz.

so I installed the 3.2C and I imediately decided to try her out at 3.5Ghz with my Corsair (PC3200 BH-5 chips) memory running at 220FSB @ 1:1 which I know for a fact it can easily do.

she booted into Windows just fine. but as soon as I started up a round of Half Life 2, the machine would reboot after about 15 minutes or so into the game. so I then decided to take my memory ratio from 1:1 to 5:4 just to see if that would cure the problem.

nope, the machine would still reboot after playing HL2 for about 20 minutes. so I then decided to raise the vcore from 1.55 to 1.65 in hopes that would cure it. again, no go....

so I then said the hell with it and put her at default speeds w/ default voltages. but this time the freakin' CPU would start to throttle itself after about 30 minutes or so of HL2.

I then started to think that it was maybe my memory or even my X800 XT PE taking a dump. so I decided to install my old 2.8C again to rule out those two things.

well, what do ya know, the machine runs just fine just like it did before at 3.5Ghz w/o skipping a beat.

so now I get to have the lovely joy of RMAing a $270 CPU thats litterally good for nothing. :(
 
RMA'ing it because you couldn't overclock it? Wow, you're a piece of shit.
 
they were topping out in the mid to high 50C area which shouldnt be nothing for a P4 considering Intel says they're good to around 80C or so. :eek:

as for the heatsink not being seated properly? I wouldnt think so because I'm using a Thermaltake SilentTower cooler that I've put on and taken off God knows how many times for different setups. heck, I can probably do it blindfolded by now. :p

oh well... my good 'ole trusty 2.8C is chugging right along as usual at 3.5Ghz...
 
Jerunk said:
RMA'ing it because you couldn't overclock it? Wow, you're a piece of shit.

read my post AGAIN Einstein...

I said that the chip was throttling itself at STOCK FREAKIN' VOLTAGES AND SETTINGS!

Jesus, its one thing when people dont read first before they stick their feet in their mouth's but its another thing when they (meaning YOU) are a-holes about it. :mad:
 
Lord of Shadows said:
Yeah thats why newegg has a restocking fee now... thanks man...

sweet Jesus, and yet another one who doesnt read things properly before opening his mouth. :rolleyes:
 
ozziegn said:
so I then said the hell with it and put her at default speeds w/ default voltages. but this time the freakin' CPU would start to throttle itself after about 30 minutes or so of HL2.

I guess I need to quote myself just in case anymore wise @sses decide to flame me before not knowing the facts first. :rolleyes:
 
Northwoods don't get to 4ghz without exotic cooling.

My 3.4C northwood would only get to 3.75 on good watercooling.

With phase change, I can run it up to 4.5 (maybe higher once my modded mobo comes back). 3.75 was the highest I could get for 24/7 use on water.
 
I am sorry to hear that your CPU seems to be messed up man... I dont know much about intel processors but did you try to re-seat the heatsink on the processor??? it sounds to me that you might have not had the HSF mounted on the cpu right. That is just my 2 cents. but if the CPU keeps throttling at stock speeds after you have re-seated the heatsink I would say that something is wrong.
 
Jerunk said:
RMA'ing it because you couldn't overclock it? Wow, you're a piece of shit.


QFT ... PARTIALLY.. - What ozzie is doing is wrong.. but he's not a P.O.S. -


Ozzie..

You know better than this. - Did the CPU work at the stock voltages and settings before overclocking it?? Then there's no reason to RMA it.

Now, the reason for this is that you first overclocked it.. You have no idea if you fried it or not. - Some chips just don't overclock well, some do.

Had you said

"I was running this thing for a week and was having all kinds of problems with it at stock settings, so I said.. well, it's a screwed up chip anyhow, so I'll try to OC it since I'm gonna rma it anyhow" that might be different.
 
I find it funny how he has to repeat hisself around 50 times before people actually notice what he says.



Sounds like you got a bunk chip, hope you get a sweet one back from RMA.
 
Komataguri said:
I find it funny how he has to repeat hisself around 50 times before people actually notice what he says.



Sounds like you got a bunk chip, hope you get a sweet one back from RMA.



ozziegn said:
so I installed the 3.2C and I imediately decided to try her out at 3.5Ghz with my ... . snipped because the rest isn't relevant


I read what he said.

I'd like to consider ozzie a cool guy.. but he "immediately decided to try her out"

Doesn't sound like a bunk chip.
It sounds like a failed overclock.

Additionally.. exaggerating doesn't prove your opinion, or make you look like your opinion is worth listening to.

Your post, Koma .. is #14
Ozzie posted 5 times in this thread.
Not 51 [50 repeats, + the initial statement]
 
Of course the OP couldnt have damaged the CPU by overclocking it from the first second he fired it up in the system :rolleyes: He even admits this himself that the first thing he did was crank it up 300mhz.

What happened to the days when you ran a new upgrade for 24 hours at least at stock settings just to make sure all is well before you start on the overclocking. You have no way of knowing it wasnt your fault.
 
I'd like to remind people that I don't care what the circumstances are, the rules still apply. If you're posting here, you must know that you are expected to conduct yoursleves in a civil manner and that flaming is unacceptable.

Thanks... :cool:
 
Summoner said:
Of course the OP couldnt have damaged the CPU by overclocking it from the first second he fired it up in the system :rolleyes: He even admits this himself that the first thing he did was crank it up 300mhz.

What happened to the days when you ran a new upgrade for 24 hours at least at stock settings just to make sure all is well before you start on the overclocking. You have no way of knowing it wasnt your fault.

oh please.... a 300Mhz O/C isnt jack to a Northwood.

and besides, it isnt like I did something stupid like jack the vcore up to 1.9v or anything stupid like that. the chip has a max 1.55vcore ratting so sticking an extra .10 isnt going to kill it. I'd bet $100 on that one...

we (including myself) have been O/Cing out chips for years and I'd like to think that most of us should know by now the "do's and donts" when it comes to O/Cing our chips.

so you people flaming me can say what you want but I know I didnt fry this chip.
 
Laforge said:
Had you said

"I was running this thing for a week and was having all kinds of problems with it at stock settings, so I said.. well, it's a screwed up chip anyhow, so I'll try to OC it since I'm gonna rma it anyhow" that might be different.

yeah, I couldve said that but I dont lie and there was no reason to start now.

as I just said, a 300Mhz O/C isnt nothing to a P4, especially a Northwood.
 
what a waste of thread space when we are no longer on topic but debating morals and values.

And name calling is so juvinile.
 
ozziegn said:
yeah, I couldve said that but I dont lie and there was no reason to start now.

as I just said, a 300Mhz O/C isnt nothing to a P4, especially a Northwood.


Ozzie..

The point is, that even a 1 mhz overclock is still taking the cpu out of spec. - Just because your *opinion* is that 300mhz "is nothing" to the processor doesn't mean that "oh, well, it shouldn't matter that I overclocked it"

Here's the way I see it


Was the part working at the intended specified paramaters? : You don't know, cause you immediately overclocked it.


Was the part taken out of specification [even by a little] thus voiding any warranty rights? : Yes

Was the part, after voiding of warranty, reverted to original intended specifications and STILL not functioning correctly [possibly as a result of the overclock, but possibly not] - Yes



If I shoot a man who is standing on the edge of a cliff.. and he falls off, but is alive as he is falling off, did the bullets or the fall kill him?

Your belief is that the fall killed him.. as in "well, He was gonna fall off the cliff anyhow"

My belief is that the bullets killed him, as in "if I hadn't shot him, he wouldn't have fallen"


You are right about the "we're all pro overclockers"

However, I think you made an amateurish mistake.


First things first is to get a baseline when you buy a new part.

Step 1) Install cpu, video card, ram..

Step 2) Test part .... Run the thing, 100% stock, for at least 1/2 a day under prime95.

Step 3) THEN overclock.


Why? Cause I don't want to bother trying to overclock an part that's not even stable out of the box..

VV 3.0 @ 3.6 [3.9 if I crank it up, but my video gets.. quirky] air cooled.

From a pick of 5 different cpu's, - I took the one that ran the coolest at stock speeds.
 
Laforge said:
Ozzie..

The point is, that even a 1 mhz overclock is still taking the cpu out of spec. - Just because your *opinion* is that 300mhz "is nothing" to the processor doesn't mean that "oh, well, it shouldn't matter that I overclocked it"...........

Well Said.
 
Laforge said:
Ozzie..

The point is, that even a 1 mhz overclock is still taking the cpu out of spec. - Just because your *opinion* is that 300mhz "is nothing" to the processor doesn't mean that "oh, well, it shouldn't matter that I overclocked it"

Here's the way I see it


Was the part working at the intended specified paramaters? : You don't know, cause you immediately overclocked it.


Was the part taken out of specification [even by a little] thus voiding any warranty rights? : Yes

Was the part, after voiding of warranty, reverted to original intended specifications and STILL not functioning correctly [possibly as a result of the overclock, but possibly not] - Yes



If I shoot a man who is standing on the edge of a cliff.. and he falls off, but is alive as he is falling off, did the bullets or the fall kill him?

Your belief is that the fall killed him.. as in "well, He was gonna fall off the cliff anyhow"

My belief is that the bullets killed him, as in "if I hadn't shot him, he wouldn't have fallen"


You are right about the "we're all pro overclockers"

However, I think you made an amateurish mistake.


First things first is to get a baseline when you buy a new part.

Step 1) Install cpu, video card, ram..

Step 2) Test part .... Run the thing, 100% stock, for at least 1/2 a day under prime95.

Step 3) THEN overclock.


Why? Cause I don't want to bother trying to overclock an part that's not even stable out of the box..

VV 3.0 @ 3.6 [3.9 if I crank it up, but my video gets.. quirky] air cooled.

From a pick of 5 different cpu's, - I took the one that ran the coolest at stock speeds.


Jesus man.... remind me never to ask you for any computer hardware advice. (I'd hate to have to hear a 90 minute lecture on the "do's and donts" by "Father knows best..." :rolleyes: )

actually this thread is kind of funny because its filled w/ a bunch of hypocrits (sp?) that are saying how wrong I was and blah, blah, blah...

but you damn sure know that they (meaning all the "Fathers" that are preaching to me) would or probably do the same damn thing.
 
Hypocrits? RMA it, just make sure to let them know you did overclock it. I don't even see why you would post it in the forum, you should have known you would have been burned for doing/planning to do, something so retarded.
 
This thread is heading nowhere fast. I don't even know what the point originally was... better luck next time.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top