Boxee Box Now Shipping

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
We reported earlier this year Boxee Box planned a release for sometime in the Fall of the year. That time has finally come and Boxee Box is now shipping. If you are unfamiliar with the trade name, it is a set top box akin to Google TV and Apple TV. The unit will feature Netflix, Hulu Plus, and a variety of online services.

Like Google TV, the Boxee Box can access a variety of online sources, such as YouTube, Vimeo, and VUDU. It can also access video content on network websites, including those sites specifically built for a TV interface.

Damn these first reviews are pretty crappy. These people need to go more in depth and give a full article. Still very interested in Boxee as Google TV turned into an even more beta product.

I've got mine already, I'm very pleased with it. I have it streaming all kinds of stuff on Ethernet from my Windows Home Server. There are a few annoyances, too many clicks to get to files, etc. I'm also not crazy how it doesn't have true rewind or fast forward, it just hops 15 seconds or so. It beats the hell out of wdtv or Google tv.

Wonder if these end up getting blocked by network sites, or if that was more a power play against google. The reviews are not what I was hoping for. Looks like I won't be giving one away as a christmas present.

Excuse my ignorance but is there anything that this, Google TV, Apple TV, etc. can do that a PS3 can not given it's recent Hulu Plus and Netflix integration?

Excuse my ignorance but is there anything that this, Google TV, Apple TV, etc. can do that a PS3 can not given it's recent Hulu Plus and Netflix integration?

Browse the ENTIRE web like a computer. Having used a PS3 for web, its not even worthy of a backup internet device. Youtube is the best thing that works (webwise) on the PS3. Any other site will have huge loading issues and/or flash corruption.

And I'm not sure if the PS3 has a wireless kb/mouse thing in one? You can at least hook a wireless kb/mouse to your PS3 , no?

I have been using the Boxee program on My HTPC, seem's ok

Is it better than the PS3 media player? Besides the PS3 I have a standalone media player and they both suck for playing MP3s when you have a huge collection. Neither has a search feature and you have to scroll through huge lists to find what you want, which is time consuming. The best media player I have come up with so far is a laptop connected to a 12ft HDMI cable and using Winamp.

B
And I'm not sure if the PS3 has a wireless kb/mouse thing in one? You can at least hook a wireless kb/mouse to your PS3 , no?

Yes. I have a wireless keyboard that has a small mouse control device built into it and it works fine on my PS3.

Browse the ENTIRE web like a computer. Having used a PS3 for web, its not even worthy of a backup internet device. Youtube is the best thing that works (webwise) on the PS3. Any other site will have huge loading issues and/or flash corruption.

Yea but who would seriously use the PS3 for internet browsing? I have an Android phone, laptop and PC already. I guess you did have a point about youtube though, since you can only access it via the ps3 web browser. If they had a standalone youtube app I think the PS3 could easily be used as an alternative to any of these setups.

The system browser is not the greatest when grabbing movies from a NAS, but it's still pretty easy.

I was testing youtube on my PS3 just 2 days ago and loading videos was slow and sometimes paused while caching. My PCs connected to the same internet connection have no such issues so why does the PS3?

Back