Bought Windows 8, upgraded to 10. Can I reinstall to 10?

Nebell

2[H]4U
Hello.

I own a key to Windows 8, which I upgraded to 10 when it was available.
Now I want to do a clean Windows reinstall. Do I have to install Windows 8 again and then upgrade to 10 or can I just download Windows 10 and use the old Windows 8 key so I don't have to do the longer job?

You can install 10 and use your 8 key. Make sure you use the newer Win 10 build which recognizes 8 keys on install. If you use the Microsoft media creation tool it will automatically create install media with the new version.

If you upgraded to windows 10 from 8 (in place upgrade) you no longer need to use your win 8 key as windows 10 will automatically activate once win 10 is installed. Your pc's hardware info is stored on the windows activation server.. Just skip the part when it asks for your key. you can install windows 10 directly from the windows 10 ISO. You can burn a ISO using the windows 10 media creation tool @

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

You can install 10 and use your 8 key. Make sure you use the newer Win 10 build which recognizes 8 keys on install. If you use the Microsoft media creation tool it will automatically create install media with the new version.

You do not need to use your Windows 8 key on install.

Activation is tied to the motherboard once you've successfully completed the upgrade to Windows 10 from a previous genuinely activated version of windows.

When and if prompted for an installation key during a Windows 10 clean install, click the 'skip this step' or 'I do not have an activation key' link that is presented on the key entry screen. Once installation is complete and the machine has internet access it will authenticate with Microsoft's servers and be activated.

Windows 10 pretty much is licensed to the PC now, not the key (except for key's purchased outright), so yes, when you re-install 10 you won't even need to enter the key and it will activate as long as that PC has been activated on 10 before.

Back