Bought laptop, didnt get charger or install CD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Breath_of_the_Dying

[H]ard|Gawd
How long should I wait before giving negative feedback? It came in last monday, and I messaged him the install CD's were not there (hp envy), and I realized the next day the charger was not included and messaged him again. I havent heard from him in about 9 days now.

He gave me a good price on a sweet laptop, and it looks in great condition, but I dont want to shell out another $100+ for install CDs and a charger.

method of payment?

paypal, open a dispute.

CC, file a chargeback.

item not as described or misleading .

Are you sure the install cd's came with the laptop to begin with? When I bought my HP lappy you had to use the utility they installed to burn your restore DVD's. Its a fairly common practice now. The power adapter should have been included though.

Chargers are cheap, Ebay link. Here is the link for recovery disks, you might be able to get them using the factory partition and restore to factory then making your restore dvd's. These are nice laptops, and if you got a good price then this will help I hope.

Edit: Used a envy 15 for example, have no idea what you bought.

Chargers are cheap, Ebay link. Here is the link for recovery disks, you might be able to get them using the factory partition and restore to factory then making your restore dvd's. These are nice laptops, and if you got a good price then this will help I hope.

I would not buy ANY generic laptop charger, I've seen many many burnt laptops and melted chargers due to shoddy craftsmanship.

Link to his FS thread? It'll help us understand more about the situation.

Many new computers nowadays don't come with recovery disks, it's a cost saving measure. You're supposed to create them yourself from data on the hard drive using a software utility that's on the computer and your own DVD's. I don't know how old that laptop is, but an HP computer I bought about 5 or 6 years ago did not have any recovery disks, nor did any HP/Compaq computer I've bought since (granted, I only bought 2 or 3).

If he does come through, I might leave him a neutral for poor communication. Your choice on how you feel it went though, and it also depends on what his responses are.

My guess by looking at OP's profile, it is this thread. It looks like the f/s thread has been edited to remove the laptop or sold items, though.
Luckily for OP, Paypal has amended their "Not as described" policy to include items purchased on sites other than ebay on Nov. 1st. You can request a refund of the cost of a new charger from the seller in a Paypal dispute if he won't send you one.

If what Drizzle linked is correct, then the seller's last activity was on Tuesday the 30th at 2 in the morning PST. He should have received your PM (if you sent him one before then, I'm assuming you did because you haven't heard from him in over 9 days, and the 30th was 7 days ago). Have you tried e-mail?

Another option you have is to leave him negative feedback now, and let him know that you will change it depending on how he responds. And there's always Paypal as Drizzle mentioned.

Did you get a phone number for the guy so you can call him? Have you tried emailing his paypal address? Relying on the PM system here for communication can be dodgy at best, that's why we recommend getting alternate contact information for someone before exchanging money/items.

If you want to PM me his name, I can make sure any PM's he gets are forwarded to the email we have on file for him, no guarantee that will help but it may be worth a shot.

The PayPal dispute should have been opened the second you realized the item wasn't as described. It NEVER hurts to open one early. It ALWAYS hurts to wait.

Open it NOW if you haven't already. In your requested resolution you should have "either provide tracking information for the promised charger or refund XX dollars so I can buy my own." Make sure you include a link from the HP accessories site with the price for the official charger.

I would not buy ANY generic laptop charger, I've seen many many burnt laptops and melted chargers due to shoddy craftsmanship.

+1. I use to buy many generic laptop power adapters and they are total crap. The power adapter is work its hardest when charging the battery. At this point the power adapter gets raging hot to the point where the plastic chassis melts, wraps, and even cracks.

A number of times it destroy the laptop along with it.

If you have to buy a replacement laptop power adapter and your on a budget then consider picking up a refurb kensington or rocketfish power adapter.

First every hp that i have owned or used, laptops, have a partition with all the install files on them. The partition is marked as recovery. Second a charger is cheap, if he gave you a great deal on a laptop in great condition i wouldn't give him negative heat just leave it as neutral and explain why. You can get replacement chargers for 10-20 dollars.

Also if you do go the route to charge back or paypal dispute, send him the laptop back.

I would go to ebay and get a hp charger new for around 15-20 dollars and then let the seller reimburse you the cost for not including it, if they offered it with the laptop. If they won't reimburse you I would leave negative but only if they promised to include it in the sale thread. If I liked the laptop I wouldn't send it back for that reason The software cds and the charger are too cheap to replace.

I haven't seen anything in this thread to say whether or not the OP was promised a charger or not and that's a fairly important point.

Generic chargers are a great way to destroy your DC jack. Some laptops come with DC jacks attached to the motherboard instead of being on a separate board. It makes fixing them very fun.

Did the seller state that the AC adapter and battery were included? With used laptops, they actually rarely are included unless stated otherwise. If he did not say in the listing that you were going to get one, then he owes you nothing.

I would go to ebay and get a hp charger new for around 15-20 dollars and then let the seller reimburse you the cost for not including it, if they offered it with the laptop. If they won't reimburse you I would leave negative but only if they promised to include it in the sale thread. If I liked the laptop I wouldn't send it back for that reason The software cds and the charger are too cheap to replace.

Concur

First every hp that i have owned or used, laptops, have a partition with all the install files on them. The partition is marked as recovery. Second a charger is cheap, if he gave you a great deal on a laptop in great condition i wouldn't give him negative heat just leave it as neutral and explain why. You can get replacement chargers for 10-20 dollars.

Also if you do go the route to charge back or paypal dispute, send him the laptop back.

let me repeat. DO NOT GET A CHARGER OFF EBAY. even if they say HP or genuine, they are counterfeit.

Heres the adaptor HP recommends for their Envy's
http://www.shopping.hp.com/product/computer/categories/ac_adapters/1/accessories/VF685AA%23ABA

EDIT: I can understand getting a cheap 15-20$ charger for an old basic laptop not worth much, but why risk destroying a premium laptop like an Envy?

Last edited:
I'm sorry, some of you guys are delusional.... if you buy a laptop, used or new and nothing is said about a charger than you should most DEFINITELY GET A CHARGER. How else would you charge the thing when it dies?

If it does not come with a charger.... it's common sense and common courtesy to say "CHARGER NOT INCLUDED". I didn't read the whole thing, but if he quit talking after you asking for the charger he obviously did a bait-and-switch by not telling you it was not included. (In my honest opinion, hopefully he proves me wrong)

I have to say two things. Good universal laptop chargers are 100% fine to use and i have never had problems using them. (the 50$ ones on ebay are fine) Also dont file a chargeback that sounds criminal. (unless you send the laptop back) some people are ass's maybe the guy lost them and is ordering replacement? But i dont have laptops that are over 1000$ not sure how much yours cost make your own choice i guess.

I'm sorry, some of you guys are delusional.... if you buy a laptop, used or new and nothing is said about a charger than you should most DEFINITELY GET A CHARGER. How else would you charge the thing when it dies?

If it does not come with a charger.... it's common sense and common courtesy to say "CHARGER NOT INCLUDED". I didn't read the whole thing, but if he quit talking after you asking for the charger he obviously did a bait-and-switch by not telling you it was not included. (In my honest opinion, hopefully he proves me wrong)

I can promise you this was not a bait and switch. I really have no idea how you concluded that one. Bait and switch implies offering one thing and sending another. he sent the laptop to him, you should never assume you are getting anything other than what is listed.

Op i think it would really help to see the original thread from which you purchased the laptop.

I can promise you this was not a bait and switch. I really have no idea how you concluded that one. Bait and switch implies offering one thing and sending another. he sent the laptop to him, you should never assume you are getting anything other than what is listed.

Op i think it would really help to see the original thread from which you purchased the laptop.

while it might not be bait and switch, its like selling a car without wheels, sure the car will turn on, and the A/C is nice and cold, but you've severly diminished the capabilities of the vehicle to almost useless

Guys, maybe you should put the debate on hold until the OP actually replies to this thread. He hasn't made a post since he started it, which was more than three days ago.

I have sold laptop AC Adapters on ebay, and they were original that came with the original laptops, so don't say that they are all fake. You just have to discern what your looking at.

I own a HP laptop as well. They do not supply any recovery disc(s). Instead you have to access the Windows secret recovery partition by pressing F11 during the boot screen.

as long as its UL listed and the voltage, wattage and polarity are correct it will work just fine.

while it might not be bait and switch, its like selling a car without wheels, sure the car will turn on, and the A/C is nice and cold, but you've severly diminished the capabilities of the vehicle to almost useless

More like a car with out much gas. But like other person said we are all arguing with out even the op reading it hehe..

OP, if you want this reopened shoot any of the FS/FT mods a message, otherwise I don't see much point in everyone else discussing it.

I sold the Envy laptop to Breath_of_the_Dying.

I was in the ER three times and finally in a 4th hospital for 6 days over the past month, and was not able to communicate here.

I nearly lost my life on two occasions.

I neglected to send the charger and DVD's because I forgot to (didn't see it, had it hidden away as the laptop was always connected to an external monitor.) (BTW HP will send the recovery DVDs super cheap)

I have already contacted Breath_of_the_Dying to get him the charger when I can.

I read the thread and was upset by some of the comments, interpretations (some paypal bullshit?), etc., so I posted this.

Why the fuck would I send a super nice laptop then just keep the cheap ass crappy HP power adapter? (the stock Envy 15 adapter is cheap crap and huge)
And the recovery DVD's... they can just be burned by YOU when you get the laptop. The laptop doesn't even have a CD drive, I was only able to burn them because I bought an external DVD drive.

I can't believe some of it... given my years of membership here and years with Heatware feedback. I hope I haven't received a negative.

okashira, I merged your thread with the existing one to keep the posts together. Very sorry to hear about your medical issues and I hope you're on the road to recovery.

I'm going to assume this issue is done with and leave the thread closed unless the OP asks for it to be reopened for a legitimate reason, or someone else has a substantive update.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back