Bought GTX 280..

Most people can oc the standard gtx280s past ocx speeds though, but if you don't want to have to oc, that's a good deal.

Most people can oc the standard gtx280s past ocx speeds though, but if you don't want to have to oc, that's a good deal.

It was only 10 bucks more than a stock clocked EVGA so thought, "Why not?"

Bought a GTX 280 new from Newegg today. It's a BFG OCX card and while I know it's not gonna be 55nm, I had to grab one while they are still around and so cheap..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814143145

It's going to replace a XFX GTX260 Black Edition that I love, but am selling soon.

not trying to troll but did you pay the 275 for that? you can get a GTX275 for 50 less and a 4890 for almost a hundred less.

not trying to troll but did you pay the 275 for that? you can get a GTX275 for 50 less and a 4890 for almost a hundred less.

Well, the GTX 280 outperforms both, but I see where you're coming from. eWiz has been having the 4890 for $180 after rebate. For $100 less than the GTX 280, the 4890 would certainly have been the better choice. The GTX 280 is still a very good card.

Congrats, enjoy your new card.
Let us know if you feel the performance difference from your 260.

ive got no idea why you would replace a 260 with a 280, it's not worth it cost / performance wise, but if you got the money to burn why not ay.

I bought a BFG OC GTX 285 a few weeks ago from local microcenter for $289. $275 doesn't seem like that good of a deal to me but hope you enjoy the card and that you're happy with it either way.

Enjoy the card and do not pay attention to any comments about not being a good deal.
If you are happy with your purchase and your games are running the way you want then that's all that matters. :)

I didn't go with a 4890 because I am just not happy with Catalyst Control Center and ATI drivers in general. I had a 512MB and then 1GB 4870 and was never really satisfied, which is why I went to the GTX 260. Since I found a buyer for that I figured what the heck! Also, for those wondering why I didn't go with a 275, basically for the money I spent I got comparable clock speeds to most similarly priced 275s, but with the full 1 GB RAM. Also, I never buy the cheapest of the cheap cards because IMOP you are begging for trouble and I like supporting companies with decent domestic support (BFG, XFX, etc..).

Last edited:
Ive been very pleased with my 280s, got them for cheaper than a 295 at the time and it blows that out of the water :D

280's also make good dedicated PhysX processors, to go with your DX11 card... :)

Back