bought already OC'ed 3930K ... problem

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by lukx, Jan 23, 2013.

1. lukx

lukx Limp Gawd

I found shop which is selling already OC'ed i7 3930K, basically guy is testing chips that will be able to get for example 4.6 Ghz with some reasonable Vcore.
    I've been waiting quite long for the chip from him and finally received one. I'm just not sure if it's worth waiting or I could basically got same results with brand new chip straight out of the box.
    I have ASUS p9x79 WS 32 GB Ripjaws 12800 ram and Noctua NH-D14 for cooling.
    What I'm getting so far is: 4.3 Ghz with 1.295 V stable under Prime95 and LinX: idle temp 40 C, full load 80 C.
    I was also able to reach 4.5 with 1.375 V and it was stable on LinX but I din't test in on Prime and noticed that Prime was crashing sometimes Ocing even when LinX was ok.
    So is it some quality batch chip or basically I can get the same straight out of the box without being on waiting list and paying few $ more for Oc'ed version?

For mainboard setting I used ASUS ones from here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=Kx2z07sFM2I

2. LigTasm

LigTasm [H]ardness Supreme

That is an average overclocker at best. My current 3930k hits a wall at 4.6ghz, but my previous one would do 4.9ghz with acceptable voltage. What cooling solution are you using with this chip?

If you paid extra for that you got ripped off, thats just my 2c.