Bought a pre...

It took Palm four years to launch something that competes with the iPhone.

Not that this comment has anything to do with your point, but the iPhone was released on June 29, 2007. The Palm Pre was released June 6, 2009. This is less than two years, not four. Carry on.

Apple users have a rough time with dates. That's why their leader created a time machine for them.

Apple users have a rough time with dates. That's why their leader created a time machine for them.

I just went back in time and had relations with your mother, son.

So how snappy is this thing? I hate my current WM phone because it's slow and likes to freeze up, will the Pre satisfy my need for speed?

I too am having the problem of choosing between the HTC Hero and the Pre. They are both great phones. I spent about 15min playing with a pre at the sprint store the other day and loved it. I plan on going to the same store on the 11th and trying out the Hero. I was dead set on the Pre until I read that HTC updated their sense UI and got rid of the Lag issue on the Hero. I do lots of texting and so the Pre keyboard is great but after using it I don't think I would text any faster on that than I would on the Hero and from what the reviews are saying texting on the Hero is pretty decent.

TMCM, that is your best bet. Try them both out. I am sure a lot of potential Pre buyers will go for the Hero. It's seeming pretty slick.
I'm a new Pre owner myself. Have had it for a week now. I love it, and with WebOS 1.2 out now, it got even more snappier. Have done a couple hacks, added homebrew apps, and really am enjoying it. Battery life could be better, but I'm sort of blaming that on my charging solutions (until I get the touchstone).

If you buy a Pre, do yourself a favor and GET the touchstone. goto store.precentral.net and buy from there, or amazon, but get it. The USB cover on the Pre is a pain. You have to slide the phone open, then pop the cover off (hope you don't break the anchor), and then plug in the cord. The touchstone would give you a nice soft matte back cover, and it would charge your phone without having to manage cords and covers.

thanks for the response. I was going to get the touchstone for that very reason. I won't know about the hero until i get to spend a few minutes playing with it. for me buying a phone is a big commitment because I keep them for so long. I have had my moto q for over 3 years now and I am still hard pressed to leave it. From what all the reviews and comparisons are saying about the Pre and the Hero, no matter what I pick I don't think I can go wrong. Worse case is that I get a a phone and a few months later I decide I don't like it, I post in the forsale section looking to trade my pre for a hero or vice-versa:D

TMCM, that is your best bet. Try them both out. I am sure a lot of potential Pre buyers will go for the Hero. It's seeming pretty slick.
I'm a new Pre owner myself. Have had it for a week now. I love it, and with WebOS 1.2 out now, it got even more snappier. Have done a couple hacks, added homebrew apps, and really am enjoying it. Battery life could be better, but I'm sort of blaming that on my charging solutions (until I get the touchstone).

If you buy a Pre, do yourself a favor and GET the touchstone. goto store.precentral.net and buy from there, or amazon, but get it. The USB cover on the Pre is a pain. You have to slide the phone open, then pop the cover off (hope you don't break the anchor), and then plug in the cord. The touchstone would give you a nice soft matte back cover, and it would charge your phone without having to manage cords and covers.

WebOS and Android are both great platforms, each with their own strengths and weaknesses. It really comes down to preference, I think, for what features are more useful to you. I went Pre, because of multitasking and synergy. However, before WebOS was announced, I was 100% sure my next phone would have Android.

I thought that android supported multitasking?

What can you tell me about your experience with synergy?

I thought that android supported multitasking?

What can you tell me about your experience with synergy?

It definitely does, but in my opinion, the Pre does it better with the "card" system. Very intuitive and easy to visualize what you have running.

Synergy is a great concept and I can't believe someone hasn't thought of it before Palm. For the most part, it works very well and it auto-aggregated all my contact info coming from two email accounts, AIM and facebook. The only two flaws that I see are that AIM contacts need to be labeled with the person's name to get linked with the right profile (not much Palm can do here) and I've also noticed that for some contacts, their facebook picture isn't imported in. The latter bugs me the most, since it seems to be random. I hope Palm does get that fixed in the future.

I just went back in time and had relations with your mother, son.
She just passed away last weekend. :( I hope you got a chance to tell her how much my sisters and I loved her and miss her so much.

The other thing I am worried about is how long it will take HTC to update their "sense UI" after google comes out with an android update, and for how long they htc will update the phones. The one thing with the pre is that when palm updates web os I see no reason why they wouldn't update the pre. With the hero I don't think you can download the newest android update untill htc updates sense us on their phones...

Picked up a Pre on Friday. Already loving this phone coming from a WinMo for personal and BB Curve for business.

The bluetooth pairing works so much better than WinMo (I even tried different cooked ROMS)

I can play Pandora over my bluetooth head unit in my car, and when I shut my stereo off, Pandora actually pauses the song.

Plus being able to stream pandora while using Google Maps is an awesome feature. And if a call comes in, Pandora pauses while I answer my phone over my handsfree.

time to tweak it out.....

time to tweak it out.....

WebOS Quick Installer was just updated here. It gives you many tweaks, like read/delete all emails, remove nfl/nascar apps,, change the battery icon to a % notification, blink notifications, etc. It's really simple to setup, even with Win7, and worth it. It also gives you a preliminary way to start installing Homebrew apps on the Pre.

However, I can't stress enough that each of these tweaks should be removed prior to any WebOS update as something will get hosed as updates are not full images like the iPhone does.

Yeah, that app is nice. Already added some apps from precentral.net

Running the green theme from there as well.

thanks for the response. I was going to get the touchstone for that very reason. I won't know about the hero until i get to spend a few minutes playing with it. for me buying a phone is a big commitment because I keep them for so long. I have had my moto q for over 3 years now and I am still hard pressed to leave it. From what all the reviews and comparisons are saying about the Pre and the Hero, no matter what I pick I don't think I can go wrong. Worse case is that I get a a phone and a few months later I decide I don't like it, I post in the forsale section looking to trade my pre for a hero or vice-versa:D

the htc hero is pretty expensive, the htc hero is $500-550, the palm pre is $300. going by ebay prices.

I can't really tell which I like more, the main thing I'm worried about with the pre is lack of apps in the store. I don't know if the htc hero is worth $200 more for more apps and a slightly better UI. has anyone tested out both devices? I like how the pre shows you all your running apps, something the the hero does not.

I am glad to see so many others loving their pre! I have had mine since 4 days after launch and I find I like it more and more as time goes on. I have been playing homebrew apps, themes, etc since they started up. I started putting on patches last few weeks for visual keyboard and a few others to play around with. I can't live without the calender patch to make it default to the Month view.
I do not own the touchstone as I have the rubberized plastic frame on my pre along with protector films on it. The touchstone will not reach through the back cover, but I can live with this. The cover has already saved my pre from a few falls on pavement and the film has taken a few scratches as well.
The GPS rocks! I used it to drive from Orlando, FL to Raleigh, NC with no problems. Then used it to drive from Raleigh, NC to Philadelphia, PA a couple days after that with NO problems with signal loss or bad directions (I did find the traffic dodge thing hit or miss though). In Orlando I only had like 1-2 bars where I lived, but in Philly I get full bars all the time. This has helped my battery life tremendously. I can get 2 days on a single charge with moderate use. I have 3 emails accounts set to push and I average about 2-4 emails within an hour (sometimes worse on exam weeks).

Made a car charger for the pre for about $6 (cheap usb car charger and like $3 micro usb cable from monoprice), and I would NOT recommend using the GPS for long if you do not use a car charger with it.

I've had a Pre for about two months now. The homebrew scene for this phone is supported by Palm, greatly. There is even a Google Voice app in the App Catalog. Take that iPhone.(Well if you do get this app, get the one in the PreCentral repository as it allows you to do universal search). Touchstone is a big necessity as the little port on the side is prone to breaking. The Touchstone back will also make the phone alot sturdier.

My opinion on the Pre and the Hero. I would go with the Pre as I had a G1 before and that thing was sluggish and Android is no where as polished as WebOS. A more polished 4-month OS vs one that has been out 2 years? I'll take the 4 month old WebOS any day.

price isn't an issue since I only get new phones when my contract is up. i'll only end up spending 150 for the pre or 180 for the hero.

the htc hero is pretty expensive, the htc hero is $500-550, the palm pre is $300. going by ebay prices.

I can't really tell which I like more, the main thing I'm worried about with the pre is lack of apps in the store. I don't know if the htc hero is worth $200 more for more apps and a slightly better UI. has anyone tested out both devices? I like how the pre shows you all your running apps, something the the hero does not.

Paid apps came out on the Pre today, With this news, we should see a lot more quality apps coming out in the next couple months

i hope there will be a lot of high quality free ones too.

Oh there are, both in the official Palm App Catalog, as well as in the homebrew community. In fact, a few of these pay-for apps were previously free in the homebrew repository.

I believe there will be many more quality apps just due to the developer support that Palm has shown. Even the NanPlayer incident last month was tended to quickly.

Back