Bought a new 144hz monitor.. but wont display as 144hz?

SCVjarhead

n00b
Bought the ASUS VG278HE 144hz 3D monitor the other day. Hooked it up to my PC using a dual link DVI cable. Went into screen resolution settings to change to 144 from 60hz and a message appears saying "please use dual link DVI cable provided". I unplugged, re connected, swapped ends, changed plug in ports, no change.

Went on amazon, bought a new DVI-D cable thinking the one provided was bad. Still no change.

Uninstalled all GPU drivers and reinstalled, no change. There are no monitor drivers for this monitor unless you have the nvidia 3d card, which i dont.

Tried using HDMI (i knew it wouldn't work but worth a shot) still won't work. I have a display port, but i don't have a cable and haven't tried that.. i read that it won't work.

Every driver i have it up to date and i've reinstalled everything.

My GPU is a XFX AMD Radeon R9 280X

ASrock H87M Pro4 motherboard

intel i5 processor

8G RAM

one other thing that may be notable is that under properties in the screen resolution tab, it's detecting the monitor as "generic PnP". The only method i know to fix this is to unplug and replug. Obviously, no change.

I searched through the site and haven't found anything completely related to this issue.

thanks

The 280x has two DVI ports, one of which is single link which won't work. Make sure to use the dual-link dvi port, and consider returning the VG278HE since there are much better 144hz monitors like the LG 24GM77 and BenQ XL2720Z which have better colours and don't use PWM which ruins motion clarity (example) unlike the VG278HE.

i've tried using both ports and neither work.

I'm not sure i can still return it.. it's been about two weeks

get a different one, the colors are so washed out I went back to an old gorgeous glossy Samsung 120hz and sold the Asus a couple years ago.

Bought the ASUS VG278HE 144hz 3D monitor the other day. Hooked it up to my PC using a dual link DVI cable. Went into screen resolution settings to change to 144 from 60hz and a message appears saying "please use dual link DVI cable provided". I unplugged, re connected, swapped ends, changed plug in ports, no change.

Went on amazon, bought a new DVI-D cable thinking the one provided was bad. Still no change.

Uninstalled all GPU drivers and reinstalled, no change. There are no monitor drivers for this monitor unless you have the nvidia 3d card, which i dont.

Tried using HDMI (i knew it wouldn't work but worth a shot) still won't work. I have a display port, but i don't have a cable and haven't tried that.. i read that it won't work.

Every driver i have it up to date and i've reinstalled everything.

My GPU is a XFX AMD Radeon R9 280X

ASrock H87M Pro4 motherboard

intel i5 processor

8G RAM

one other thing that may be notable is that under properties in the screen resolution tab, it's detecting the monitor as "generic PnP". The only method i know to fix this is to unplug and replug. Obviously, no change.

I searched through the site and haven't found anything completely related to this issue.

thanks

Why not? At least try using Displayport maybe it WILL work.

Back