Bought a Celeron M 1.5ghz Notebook - Ram speed shows 100mhz 1:1

256MB + WinXP + preloaded junk will be very slow.

CPU-Z is reading your memory speed wrong in the last screen. That's not unusual. You have DDR2-533 (DDR2-4200) memory installed and depending on the chipset it will be running at 400MHz or 533MHz.

Edit: that laptop uses the 910GML chipset, supporting up to DDR2-400MHz memory speed. If you have a single SO-DIMM installed, add another to get to at least 512MB and enable dual channel. That will help with the integrated graphics stealing memory bandwidth from the CPU and the memory starvation of running WinXP with only 256MB.

pxc said:
256MB + WinXP + preloaded junk will be very slow.

CPU-Z is reading your memory speed wrong in the last screen. That's not unusual. You have DDR2-533 (DDR2-4200) memory installed and depending on the chipset it will be running at 400MHz or 533MHz.

There's no preloaded stuff as the machine came with no OS and I used the Pro license from what used to be her old desktop. There's some of the Acer power managment stuff in place just for behavioral changes when AC's unplugged and it drops to battery - but othewrise nothing much extra (daemon tools, gmail notifier, nod32, ite smart guardian).

I guess I'll just have to find some more DDR2-533 to pop in here.

Thanks though!

Back