Bought 65" Sony X95K. Should have gotten 65" LG C3?

Quiz

Gawd
Bought a 65" X95K today. Will be delivered on Tuesday. However, I am having second thoughts that I maybe should have gotten an 65" C3 instead which was the same price. I saw both TVs but not side-by-side. The C3, didn't seem very bright in the store while the X95K definitely had more "pop." My main concern is that we watch the same news channels everyday for pretty extended periods of time. Burn-in was a worry for me. But reading around it seems this worry is not much of a real concern these days with the new models? Is this true?

What do you guys say? Did I make the right choice or should I have gone for the 65" C3?

I just noticed that the LG I saw that was the same price as the 65" X95K was a LG CS3 (not C3). The CS3 seems to be a model specifically made for other markets(?) and may apparently be of lower quality. The "real" 65" C3 costs a bit more than the 65" X95K we got.

I think I'll just stick with the X95K as this is just for the main living room and not a dedicated home theater or media room. If we do get around to making a dedicated home theater or media room, a larger OLED would probably be on the cards.

Last edited:
We can't answer this for you, as it comes down to how you're going to use your TV.
Mini led has the brightness going for it, while OLED has the contrast.
As I've read, if the TV is going on a sunny room, go for led, if not then consider OLED.

I mean, depends on what you like. MiniLED displays do bright better than OLEDs, just no contest. So, if your room is one that you don't have good light control in, they are a real consideration, or if you just like your HDR highlights to really pop. OLEDs do dark really well. No halos, glow, etc, they can do light-on-dark flawlessly. I have an OLED TV, but we don't really use it during the day, it probably wouldn't work well with the big sliding glass door we have in the living room.

Thanks for the replies.

The problem is that this TV is for the main living room and we watch the same channels everyday for extended periods of time. I've read online and was also told by the sales man that with modern/newer OLED TVs the risk of burn-in is extremely low or even a nonfactor. Is this true? With an LG C3, would watching the same channels everyday for extended periods of time still have a risk of burn-in? I think probably so? That alone made me go for MiniLED as I don't want the risk of dealing with it.

Last edited:
I mean... I can't really say 100%. OLED burn in is for sure not as bad as it used to be, however it is still a thing. RTings does a torture test with TVs playing CNN all day and ya, there is some burn-in. Now this is 24/7 at full brightness shit, not a realistic test, but it does demonstrate that it can happen. On the other hand there's plenty of people who will tell you they've used an OLED a ton and have no issues. There's no way to say for sure if you'd have any issues during the life of the display. Also depends on how long you are going to keep it and how big a deal a replacement would be. Like if you are the kind of person who will get new tech all the time, then probably not a big deal, even if burn in does eventually happen it is going to take awhile and maybe you just replace it then. On the other hand if you keep things a long time and can't afford to just blow money on new toys, then it could be a bigger worry because things that cause burn in are cumulative so while it might be fine for 5 years, it might not be fine in 10, that kind of thing.

Personally, I went for a MiniLED monitor in part because of burn-in worries about OLEDs. Also depending on how bright you keep your room the brightness thing is a factor. An OLED cranked all the way up (which can increase burn-in) can get reasonably bright, enough to be fine in a normally lit room. A MiniLED TV can get super bright, even a room with sunlight streaming in it can generally overpower.

Also depends on what you do with it. For just news watching, an OLED is wasted. Like it'll look fine, but there just isn't a need for it. If you do movies and games then it is of more interest.

One other thing to consider is how straight-on you like to watch your TV. If you are looking pretty dead on, VA TVs look pretty good, however they don't look as good at more extreme angles like if you sit off to the side a large ways. OLEDs do much better in that regard, and QD-OLED (Samsung and Sony) does even better than WOLED (LG and most others).

The good news is that MiniLED looks really good. I think you'll find yourself quite happy with it overall for HDR. While it can't get the pin-point accuracy that OLED can, it turns out most real content doesn't use that. Generally when something is bright, it casts some brightness around it that falls off, and that is the kind of thing a TV with enough FALD zones can handle pretty well. So you still get a good experience.

Is it worth getting an Apple TV 4K for the X95K? Or will the built-in apps work just as well? One advantage of using an Apple TV 4K is that I can connect my AirPods Pro to it and watch "quietly" alone.

Will the built-in Apple TV app provide the same audio and video quality as the Apple TV 4K? I read around and it seems the Apple TV 4K provides a higher bitrate than the built-in Apple TV app on TVs.

Last edited:
We can't answer this for you, as it comes down to how you're going to use your TV.
Mini led has the brightness going for it, while OLED has the contrast.
As I've read, if the TV is going on a sunny room, go for led, if not then consider OLED.
This.

It's really down to personal preference and what you want from your TV. For me, I wouldn't have gotten it because I've been spoiled by plasma. So if I'm getting a new TV it better be a damn upgrade to plasma. Mini-LED's seem a bit of side-grade, and even a step back in some cases. Once you have a self-emissive TV (IE - generates its own light without a backlight) it's really hard to go back to a backlight. Another reason I would have passed on the Sony is that for some reason, their newer LCD's double-strobe their BFI at 60hz, creating a double-image effect. Really annoying. And strange. They used to have the best LCD BFI implementation in TV's before it got popular, so no idea what happened there.

But really - none of this matters if you're fine with it. In which case I would say, enjoy your TV and stop asking for some random internet dudes to validate your purchase. :) Take care.

So, the 65" X95K was delivered last Wednesday and wall mounted by the installers. I've had a few days of playing around with it and watched a couple movies on it. 4K and 1080p movies look so good on it. Yes, I can see a little bit of blooming in "extreme" situations such as a black screen with white text on it. But during "regular" situations it's pretty much unnoticeable. Also, the brightness levels with HDR content is pretty awesome. It's pretty much double the brightness levels of the LG C2/C3, if I am not mistaken. Overall, super happy with it.

Back