• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Bottlenecked?

MiamiBigAL

n00b
Joined
Mar 25, 2005
Messages
15
I am wondering whether to upgrade from a 9800 pro to a x850xt. Is the X850xt too powerful for my cpu? Should I get the X850 pro instead? The main game I play is CS:Source.

My System:

AMD Athlon 3200 (socket A)
1GB Corsair ValueRAM

Any Feeback much appreciated!
 
You mean not bottlenecked in that I used the wrong term or that it's alright to get the graphics card above?
 
i would go for the X1k series if i upgraded now... if theres any AGP card avaiable that is :)
 
MiamiBigAL said:
You mean not bottlenecked in that I used the wrong term or that it's alright to get the graphics card above?

Your system won't be bottlenecking the card, so go forth and mash the "Add to Cart" button!

Seriously though, it'll be fine.
 
Doesn't it depend on what resolution he wants to play CSS ? Because when playin @ 2560x1600 it doesn't matter what CPU you take since the vcard would be the nottleneck ?
 
squ1rr3l said:
Doesn't it depend on what resolution he wants to play CSS ? Because when playin @ 2560x1600 it doesn't matter what CPU you take since the vcard would be the nottleneck ?

Thats the most obvious of bottlenecks as what you're doing in that situation is just stressing the video card as much as possible, same thing with turning on too many graphical options that the card can't handle. What the OP is talking about it whether the card will be held back in any way by the rest of the rig, i.e. will it be able to serve up info fast enough for the GPU. He's worried that the system won't allow the GPU to perform to its potential.

So then OP, the answer remains: you'll be just fine.
 
quadnad said:
Thats the most obvious of bottlenecks as what you're doing in that situation is just stressing the video card as much as possible, same thing with turning on too many graphical options that the card can't handle. What the OP is talking about it whether the card will be held back in any way by the rest of the rig, i.e. will it be able to serve up info fast enough for the GPU. He's worried that the system won't allow the GPU to perform to its potential.

So then OP, the answer remains: you'll be just fine.

One more thing. Will I see much increase in frames per second if I run the game in just 800x600, all settings low, and in DX8.1? I'm more interested in FPS than eye candy, which is why I'm asking.
 
MiamiBigAL said:
One more thing. Will I see much increase in frames per second if I run the game in just 800x600, all settings low, and in DX8.1? I'm more interested in FPS than eye candy, which is why I'm asking.

yes with the 9800pro but if you ran cs:s with the x850xt your CPU would bottleneck the card so no...i think the best performance with the 9800pro would be 1024x768 with low settings for max fps...
 
Back
Top