• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Bottleneck

thedocta45

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Oct 10, 2007
Messages
1,325
Just wondering if I would end up bottlenecking my system if i were to spring for the new 400 line of the nVidia cards.
If so I am considering the upgrade to a quad core possibly a q6600 or the like if i can find one.
Currently running a e6600 @ 3.15 I might be able to push it a bit farther if i get some different higher volt ram.
Thanks in advance for the help, if there is an older post on this subject please point me in the right direction I gotta get to work.
 
Yeah, just got done looking stuff up on Google, and it would seem that jumping up to a quad core would be advisable if I want to avoid the bottlenecking issue.
 
Yeah, just got done looking stuff up on Google, and it would seem that jumping up to a quad core would be advisable if I want to avoid the bottlenecking issue.
going to an overclocked Q6600 isnt going to completely avoid that. only getting an i5/i7 will give you the max performance that a top of the line gpu can provide.
 
When you all say bottleneck, are you implying that there will be performance side effects or just that the CPU will be the bottleneck in the system? Just curious.
 
When you all say bottleneck, are you implying that there will be performance side effects or just that the CPU will be the bottleneck in the system? Just curious.
that doesnt necessarily mean that gameplay would be noticeably affected as very few games are extremely cpu intensive like gta4. it simply means that it would limit the performance potential of the the card.
 
probably the cpu aspect will bottleneck the system

over time, dual cores will be like the single cores today...itll get pushed back as quads = mainstream.

but i doubt that will happen quickly, but itll eventually happen
 
Back
Top