both Win 7 and Win 8 on same system: Are you entitled to two free Win 10 installs?

x509

2[H]4U
The title is my question here.

With all the threads about how/why/when you get a free upgrade, or not, Microsoft must be fielding a lot of support call.

Well those *would* be 2 separate licenses, so would be entitled to 2 upgrades, but I don't see why you would want to use 2 Win10 installs on the same machine. The upgrade ties the license to the machine hardware, so you would have to go through some hoops to move one off to another machine.

From a purely technical standpoint if you have a legit activated Windows 7 install and a legit activated Windows 8/8.1 install (which is NOT an upgrade from Windows 7) on the same machine then technically yes you're entitled to a Windows 10 upgrade for both OSes. The issue is them being on the same machine because the hardware hash generated by the Windows 10 upgrade is what's used for activation and you shouldn't be able to get two Windows 10 activations on the same hardware hash.

Only one way to find out, I suppose: try it and see what happens, but realize that once you do this you're still stuck using that same hardware, you can't transfer the license or activation to any other hardware so, you can't do the Windows 7 install to Windows 10 upgrade on that machine and then bump the 8/8.1 install to Windows 10 upgrade on another, it doesn't work that way.

From a purely technical standpoint if you have a legit activated Windows 7 install and a legit activated Windows 8/8.1 install (which is NOT an upgrade from Windows 7) on the same machine then technically yes you're entitled to a Windows 10 upgrade for both OSes. The issue is them being on the same machine because the hardware hash generated by the Windows 10 upgrade is what's used for activation and you shouldn't be able to get two Windows 10 activations on the same hardware hash.

Only one way to find out, I suppose: try it and see what happens, but realize that once you do this you're still stuck using that same hardware, you can't transfer the license or activation to any other hardware so, you can't do the Windows 7 install to Windows 10 upgrade on that machine and then bump the 8/8.1 install to Windows 10 upgrade on another, it doesn't work that way.
If they are both Retail copies, the upgrade is supposedly a Retail Upgrade and can be moved, right?

Yep, and I would suggest if that's the intended course of action, don't do the Windows 10 upgrade until the license is moved to another system because at this moment there's no absolutely clear answer from Microsoft with respect to doing hardware changes (either a hardware upgrade, a hardware failure, or just a desire to move to a new machine) where Windows 10 is concerned. It's a known thing for 7/8/8.1 but 10 so far is still being questioned even for Retail copies.

As always, a call to Microsoft should get the information needed.

If you have both an activated Win7 and an activated Win8 on a system, then at least one of them is not an OEM license.

The free upgrade is not tied to the device if the system that you upgraded from was not an OEM version, despite the misunderstanding of some very obdurate posters here. You should be able to transfer at least one of the licenses to another PC.

Back