borrowing/copying windows XP cd's - is it legal?

Phil_needs_help

Weaksauce
i lost my windows XP cd - question is if i borrow/copy someone esles cd but still enter MY serial number - is this legal and ok?

yes it is legal, you have paid for a licence not the CD, unless yours was an OEM

The copy you borrow has to match the key type you have. So if you have an OEM key, you'd need to borrow an OEM copy. Retail means you'd need a retail CD. From my experience, you can't use an OEM key on a retail CD and vice versa. But then again, The OEM copies I tried out were from both Dell and Compaq.

but yeah...like was already said...it's legal, you just need to match your key with the correct version of windows.

nst6563 said:
The copy you borrow has to match the key type you have. So if you have an OEM key, you'd need to borrow an OEM copy. Retail means you'd need a retail CD. From my experience, you can't use an OEM key on a retail CD and vice versa. But then again, The OEM copies I tried out were from both Dell and Compaq.

but yeah...like was already said...it's legal, you just need to match your key with the correct version of windows.

sorted ok

Back