• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

borging mom's system that I just built

Astroman

Gawd
Joined
Jun 14, 2003
Messages
684
guys I recently built my mom a system using the following

Asus A7n8x
Barton 2500+ (not OCd of course)
Antec Ovation case (not the best airflow but nice desktop)

that's the basics.

So, I want to borg her machine, after convincing her of course. Question is, I'm running mobo monitor and after folding for about 15 minutes, the cpu socket temp is 52C and the "cpu diode" temp is 65C.

I have a hard time believing that 65C is a true temp.. anyone have experience with this? I want to borg it but don't want to fry anything.

Thanks
 
I dont have any barton cores, but I can tell you that some of my athlons that are in cases with bad airflow are running hotter than that. Worse one is currently at 65c, but the vig-pro boards are known to report higher than usual temps. Almost all of my xp chips are around 47c to 53c even with good airflow.

T-3
 
As long as it has a heatsink fan attached and the machine is staying stable I really wouldn't worry too much about the temp readings. Before it becomes a danger to the CPU your system will start showing symptoms of inappropriate cooling. Lock-ups and/or reboots being the most common. Now if it does not have a heatsink fan attached then it will depend upon the motherboard and it's settings in the bios as to whether or not the CPU gets damaged. I had an Asus Dual Board that was running Folding using a big copper heatsink and 7000rpm fan. Sometime during the night the little clip point on the CPU socket that the heatsink clips to broke and the HSF fell off the processor. Thanks to the Asus board monitoring the CPU temp it shut the machine off and didn't fry the CPU.
 
I don't put much credence into any of the system temperature monitors anymore. I've had Asus, Gigabyte, MSI, and others all showing what had to be just plain wrong temps. In one example, an MSI board I had the CPU temps jumped 14C after a BIOS flash. It reported 73C while loaded with Prime95 for over 2 hours, and its a pretty safe bet that at that point the heatsink should be warmed up. But on repeated feeling it was apparent that the base of the heatsink was nowhere near the reported temp. Best guess was closer to 45C.

What really bothers me about the whole monitoring fiasco is how they change with BIOS versions. When I load a new BIOS and my temps change by 7-15C, what does that say about the accuracy of the system. If it was that far off before, whats to say it isn't just as far off now if not more. So for true temp testing I use a laser thermometer when one is available, and if not, touching the base of the heatsink is the best bet, in my opinion. I know that is isn't exemplary of the true "core" temp, but in most cases hot is hot, and cool is cool. If it's questionable, then its too hot.

Brian Taylor

Edit: As mentioned above, the temp sensors are good for shutdown in case of something extreme, but I don't trust them any further than that.
 
My home system is an Asus A7n8x running AMD 2600+ with stock HSF and folding 24/7. Using MBM to monitor temps, the Diode averages 57C and a high of 65C. I have a nice Antec case with pretty good air flow. I've never seen it go over 65C, but it seems to hit that mark every day at some point. Even when I had it OC it didn't go above 65C. It might be good to invest in a second case fan?
85000.gif
 
Yeah My xp2000 been up for over 3 wk's with out a reboot since i rejoined and sit's at 58-61C all the time folding 24/7

on a lighter note adding a new box here soon not much but friend is kicking it down to me dual pent III 500 so i look forward to adding it to the farm and letting it just run it's little heart out maybe crank out a few extra WU for the [H]orde
 
thanks for the replies guys !

I can't add another case fan, the Ovation case has only one place for a fan, its a desktop case. Nice one too, but the airflow is poor.

Oh well, I spoke with her a bit about folding, and she seemed interested yet unsure. I wasn't good at explaining it at all..

oh well lol. Might not get to do it anyway.
 
You could also try running the client at only 60 or 70% processor usage to try and keep it from the upper temperature ranges.
 
I like the idea of cutting down CPU%

putting in a louder fan is not an option. I have big noise fans in my computer, but I'm tolerant to a point.

Her computer is in her home office, which is shared by my dad and his computer, and they have a very quiet home. A loud fan is out of the question, especially if it is just for the point of Folding.

I was trying to convince her, and one of the main points is that she would hardly even notice it was going. A loud fan would be anything but transparent.
 
Have you looked through the case to see if there were any easy mods you could do to improve airflow? You could bundle cables together, move some cards away from the CPU, enlarge some holes in the front of the case, etc. Just an idea. I also wouldn't worry too much about the temps unless its locking up on you...that's the best sign that you're pushing too hard.
 
or what you can do it do what i did on a mid tower case i took some zip ties and got some nice quite 120mm fans and zip tied them to the inside of the case in different spots looked getto but it moved around alot of air inside the case that might help some
 
If the barton isn't even oced, i wouldnt worry a BIT about the temps.

FOLD ON!!!
 
Back
Top