• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Borging limited accounts?

magnusvir

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Sep 7, 2004
Messages
1,165
Ok, so I am going to pitch FAH to the manager of my dorm here, hoping the 5-6 p4 2+ ghz can begin to fold for the [H]orde. Since these are networked to the central servers at Purdue and are limited accounts, I will not be able to likely install the service in the console files. Also it is quite likely that the reg keys for the service will also not be installed.

I run the FAH on my network drive whenever I am in a computer lab so I know reg keys are not a problem since the console automatically requests one from the server. I have to manually start the service however. I was thinking whether I could place a shortcut in the startup bar and if that would automatically start FAH.

I am not sure if I should go with the graphical version because that seems to crash the systems here. Console is the only bet. Also any way to keep it running in the background so that there is no console window without running the service?

I need the answers to these question first before I pitch to the manager.
 
Using the -local command with the console version should do the trick. Not sure on what level of access needed to set this up as a service. Never tried to borg work since they told me no.
 
The problem is, short of running F@H as a service, you're not going to be able to hide it without running another app such as daemon tools to hide the window. I imagine that this isn't going to be possible as well, so it's always going to be visible.

 
Console client is definately the way to go.....

No matter what you do, you need access to the registry... even if it's a one-time deal to set F@H up, you need access to the reg..... the only time you'd need the reg. after that would be to update to a new console (very rare).....

You'd need to know what kind of protection they're running.... if they have something like Deep Freeze on there, then it may take alot more work that the manager,etc will be willing to do.....


Keep on Folding!! For the [H]orde!!

 
It'd probably be best to install the service, both in terms of ease of use and less noticeable. Use my service installer, and it'll be a cinch.

 
I run the console version and TrayIt from my thumb drive on my work machine with a limited account.
 
Back
Top