Borg O' Matic

onetwenty8k

2[H]4U
I just installed the SMP client on my grandparents iMac. It's a 1.83Ghz CoreDuo with 1GB of RAM. I had permission, afterall, their son in law just died from cancer. But I just would like to ask, will they see any performance dip? They use the computer just for web browsing (safari, and AOL), word processing, and once a year, doing their taxes on turbo tax. If so, I'll just install two regular clients and have them set at 80% CPU usage each.

Does anyone know how to get it to start on computer startup? I don't know how to do it on a mac :-/

Thanks.

Fold on!

SMP will run in the background. They probably wouldn't even notice a drop in performance.

But, and others will chime in, I'd say it's generally not a good idea to install SMP on a machine you aren't actively watching or accessing. First of all, it's still beta software. Second, it can be run as a service but there can be problems. Third, are they going to run the computer 24/7/365? If not, I think they're going to have problems hitting deadlines with that CPU.

The standard client is rock-solid for this kind of thing. They definitely won't even know it's there, even at 100%, and you won't have to worry about the potential problems.

You think they'll really have problems making the four day deadlines with that CPU? If people agree on this, I'll just run two of the regular clients but I don't know how to get two of them on a mac since it writes files to ~/Library/folding@home and there can only be one of those directories. If I run them with -local, I don't know how to make them autostart with the flags :-/

Edit---

Yes, the computer is mostly going to run 24/7 with some occasional restarts and I mean occasional.

Meh... give SMP a try.

I bet you grand parents will let you install the standard if the SMP gives them a problem.

Your biggest problem will be if it hangs and your not there to restart.

Well it started at 24 minutes past and it's 50 minutes past and hasn't finished the first percent. I'm having doubts that it will be able to make the deadlines. I think I'll settle on the regular clients. Now I ask, is there a way to autostart two clients when the computer boots?

My 1.66 Core Duo mini makes the deadlines just fine. You're running the 6.0 SMP client right? I haven't had any problems with it, definitely the easiest of the SMP clients to install.

So it does a percent in 28 minutes. It's a little slow but it should complete each WU within 2-3 days which is in the deadline. Is it worth it? Now again, how do I get it to autostart when the computer boots?

So it does a percent in 28 minutes. It's a little slow but it should complete each WU within 2-3 days which is in the deadline. Is it worth it? Now again, how do I get it to autostart when the computer boots?

On a mac not a clue.... you might need to go to the mac forum to get an answer.....

Back