Borderlands on AMD cards

I hate to sound like a Truther but it's a TWIMTBP game in an engine ATI used to whip Nvidia on but after a few patches and drivers started getting beat horribly.
 
That's pretty terrible. I'm thinking of picking up the game, but I have a 4850, and I'm starting to wonder if I should wait for a fix.

Terrible performance like that shouldn't happen in a shipping product.
 
I'm sure [H] will do its own review. I'm having trouble believing that just because nvidia has its hands in on Borderlands that a card with half the horsepower of a 5870 is soundly outperforming it.
 
some users posted that they have much better results than what the link claimed, don't take eveyrthing you read as gospel, more tests are needed.
 
First of all there is an ingame cap of 60 FPS, UE3 engine. Secondly, the performance hit is when you force AA from the CCC. If you force AA and rename the .exe (non steam copies) to bioshock.exe the performance hit isn't nearly as much. There is no application detection yet for this game with AMD cards - but there is a 60 FPS cap in game anyways. I'm running a 5870 and always pegged @ 60 FPS. I dont need AA because with it being cell shaded and using DoF you really dont even need AA.
 
I've been playing 1680x1050 with my 5870. I notice that AA seems to not be working and that forcing AF via the control panel doesnt actually enable it. I had to disable AF in CCC and enable it ingame to get proper AF.

It's been a smooth experience for me though FPS wise and it should be @ 16x10.
 
Like you said OP, its not the card but the drivers. ATI will focus on the great and established games first. Borderlands was just released so there are no optimized drivers for it, but that will change. The Geforce GTX 200 line has been out for over a year. This game is not a make or break for ATI by any stretch of your imagination OP.
 
I'm playing it with a 4830 @ 1920*1200, and it runs decent enough. There's a few areas where I get noticeable slowdowns, but for the most part it's more than playable.
 
drivers : one of the reasons i stood away from ati for long time. they really must fix issue with unreal engine this is starting to look pathetic
 
some users posted that they have much better results than what the link claimed, don't take eveyrthing you read as gospel, more tests are needed.

every hadware review as well as my own PC tend to agree with the OP.

AMD cards SUCK for this game. i get barely playable FPS @ 1080p max settings (no AA hack or vsync) with system in my sig.

remember though, BL came out after the latest cat drivers. i havent tested the 11 betas yet.

even with nvidia cards, SLI wasnt supported until the FW beta that came out the other day. give it a week for driver hotfixes and/or game patches. BL is in serious need aof a few patches on its own
 
every hadware review as well as my own PC tend to agree with the OP.

AMD cards SUCK for this game. i get barely playable FPS @ 1080p max settings (no AA hack or vsync) with system in my sig.

remember though, BL came out after the latest cat drivers. i havent tested the 11 betas yet.

even with nvidia cards, SLI wasnt supported until the FW beta that came out the other day. give it a week for driver hotfixes and/or game patches. BL is in serious need aof a few patches on its own

That's weird, this game works perfectly for me at 1920x1200. Haven't notice it dipped below 50fps.
 
I have been playing borderlands at a very smooth fps with a 5870 at 3150x1680 resolution in eyefinity aka no lags/slow downs at all.
 
Funny, since i get smooth fps with everything maxxed on my 4890 at 2560x1600
 
Yay, this german website is still getting attention by unsuspecting forum readers.:rolleyes: I am sure there may be a shred of truth to their results but I doubt it.

That website does not accurately report results. They ALWAYS skew heavily towards Nvidia. Its about as bad as if they were not realizing they needed to uninstall their Nvidia drivers from their machine and install ATi drivers. Their results never come close to matching other sites'.
 
no idea how they get above like 62fps or 63fps on the test..

there is like a max fps cap in game that I have no idea how to disable it.
 
no idea how they get above like 62fps or 63fps on the test..

there is like a max fps cap in game that I have no idea how to disable it.

look in the engine.ini it's in there somewhere ;)
 
Last edited:
I get 60 fps locked in that game, even with crossfire off, at 1920x1200. My friend I play with gets slowdowns on his gtx 285 at 1920x1080 at the same detail settings.
 
I get 60 fps locked in that game, even with crossfire off, at 1920x1200. My friend I play with gets slowdowns on his gtx 285 at 1920x1080 at the same detail settings.
hmmm interesting will wait for proper benchs if what you say is true then pcgh goes to my blacklist
 
Anyone having issues with this overheating their machines? With my 4800 series even 100% fan and underclocking sends me into mid 90s celcius...
 
In my experience I can play this game fine at max settings 1920x1200 no AA and 16x AF. When I introduce any AA at all it becomes noticably slower even at 2x MSAA and at 4x MSAA it becomes unplayable at times, In comparison when I play Frontlines Fuel of War, A DX10 UE3 game, I can run max settings and 4x MSAA with no problems even in online play. I agree though that the Cel shading and DOF in this game makes the jaggies less noticeable compared to other games but I'm hoping the next patch
 
Borderland doesn't use cel-shading.
Of course, gamers were up in arms and commenting on the decision but Randy Pitchford, the president of Gearbox, told Kotaku that “No, Borderlands is not cel-shaded — it's a gritty and serious world after all. But since the game was first unveiled we have made big advancements with the art direction and the technology to support the art and have produced some pretty impressive, even shocking results.”
 
Err, yeah that 'review' doesn't make any sense, because I get substantially better results at 1920x1080 with my 5850 and a worse CPU (Ph2 X3 720 @ 3.4).
 
In order to lift the framerate cap, you need to first make sure vsync is disabled, and then disable framerate smoothing in the engine config.

Open up WillowEngine.ini, go to the [Engine.GameEngine] section, and set bSmoothFrameRate to False. My framerate is 80-110, with dips into the 40s for large, complex scenes (such as Krom's base). The framerate smoothing keeps every silky smooth, but I rarely get the big dips in framerate.

BTW, I'm running everything at MAX setting @ 1920x1200 and FOV 90. I also changed some variables in the engine config to get more eye candy. Not sure if I'm actually accomplishing anything.

They are under the [SystemSettings] section. Here are the ones that I changed:

LensFlares=True
FogVolumes=True
AllowD3D10=True
 
Running it at 1920x1200 on this new system, vsync on, every video in-game option turned on and on high, smooth as silk, great game. Didn't bother trying to get the AA working, at that res and everything, it doesn't bug me. In fact, for some reason I slightly like the non-AA when it comes to cell shading, since it's not supposed to look real anyway.
 
I get 60 fps locked in that game, even with crossfire off, at 1920x1200. My friend I play with gets slowdowns on his gtx 285 at 1920x1080 at the same detail settings.

You can unlock the 62 fps cap in the Engine.ini file , I set mine to 85 to give a little more headroom for frames.
 
I've played the shit out of this game in the last week, and have had no issues running 2560x1600, everything maxed, on my 5870. Frames rarely drop below the 62/63FPS cap. I think I might have to have a look at that Engine.ini file though, the FOV and DX10 options look interesting :).
 
^I like FOV on 100 myself, the default is 70 and it's like looking though a keyhole.

You can unlock the 62 fps cap in the Engine.ini file , I set mine to 85 to give a little more headroom for frames.

I just turned on vsync in the ini instead. Got rid of tearing and it stays at 60 instead of 62.
 
Running it at 1920x1200 on this new system, vsync on, every video in-game option turned on and on high, smooth as silk, great game. Didn't bother trying to get the AA working, at that res and everything, it doesn't bug me. In fact, for some reason I slightly like the non-AA when it comes to cell shading, since it's not supposed to look real anyway.

How many times has it been mentioned that this game ISN'T cel-shaded? Geezu.
 
Game ran great on my system, old mobo/cpu and new. I ran it at 1080p with AA/AF enabled and had no problems. Both with a Phenom 9950 and now with a Core i7 860 both at stock clocks on my 5870.
 
been running game maxed out at 1920 x 1200 with my rig in sig. no issues even in full 4 player games no issues
 
Back
Top