Borderlands 2 performance with sli 780

I am in need of unfiltered information and experience. What sort of performance should I expect with an [email protected] and sli 780s while playing borderlands 2 @ 1080 with all the eyecandy on. In some areas it can dip to 45 and sometimes a little less. Another friend of mine said that he was getting better gameplay from a 560 vs his 770 that he just purchased. Is there some crazy config that you have to set to get it to play at a constant 60fps? I was able to sort out wolfenstein tno performance issues, but this one is a mind boggler. Also i have let nvidia panel choose how to handle sli and i have tried dedicating the other card strictly for physx and adaptive vsync is enabled. Thanks to all that help me in my cause.

With a single GTX 780 I was getting 70-110 FPS on a 144 Hz monitor with an i7-4770. I recently added a second GTX 780 for SLI, but I have yet to try Borderlands 2 with this config. Without Vsync on, though, you should be easily seeing constant triple-digit framerates if you're using a reasonable level of AA.

"Also i have let nvidia panel choose how to handle sli..."
I don't know what you mean by this. To enable SLI you have to choose "Maximze 3D performance" from the selection of radio buttons. You should see a green bar across the graphic at the bottom of the page that says SLI, along with the box under the list of radio buttons saying "SLI Enabled."

"...and i have tried dedicating the other card strictly for physx..."
If you dedicate one GPU to PhysX then you will effectively disable SLI performance scaling. PhysX should be set to "Auto-select" for optimal performance in SLI configurations without a separate discreet card.

What I would recommend is uninstalling the NVIDIA drivers and use DDU to start with a clean slate. Reinstall the drivers with Clean Installation checked. If you did not download the drivers directly from NVIDIA's website, do so now and install these. After being installed the only things you should do in the NVIDIA control panel is set the 3D settings to Application-controlled and enable SLI by choosing "Maximize 3D performance." This process is to eliminate any potential user errors. If afterward you are not experiencing any issues, then you can start tweaking. You can check if both cards are handling 3D load by monitoring their performance in a program like GPU-Z.

A single 780 would max BL2 out so in SLI I'm sure its just ridiculous. It's not a very demanding game unless you set PhysX to max and you are encoding in the background.

My GTX 670 is having no problem handling this game. I just started playing this and am loving it and played with FRAPS on for the first 2 or 3 days and was well over 60 and into the 100's often with settings maxed. A pair of 780s should be doing about 1000 fps so I dont understand why you're digging down into the low 40's. Wonder if it's a driver issue. I have noticed some stuttering here and there that seems to be a little unusual but doubt that's related.

A single 780 would max BL2 out so in SLI I'm sure its just ridiculous. It's not a very demanding game unless you set PhysX to max and you are encoding in the background.
I have a single 780 and BL2 dips below 60FPS all cranked up. PhysX makes BL2 take a dump. I basically have to OC the card and then use EVGA Precision to lock the card at its max OC'd clocks to keep it from dropping below 60FPS.

Am I doing something wrong?

Edit: Maybe you two guys up from this post are using anecdotal evidence considering your signatures don't state you're using 780s. I've also read that the PhysX stuff seems to work fine on 600-series NVIDIA cards but runs like crap on anything else. Not sure of the truth behind that.

I run SLI 780s and see dips down to the 30 FPS area in gun fights. I have PhysX on high and every other setting maxed at 2560x1600. Kinda annoying. Did you find a fix?

I play with VSync on for 60FPS on my 660Ti at 1080. No issues. I only use medium level PhysX and low AA though. I also don't like the blur, so I turn that off too. My daughter plays on a 650Ti at 1080 with no AA, medium PhysX, no AO, and no blur, and I don't see it dropping below sync. It's smooth as silk. (I'm using a socket 1366 Xeon for reference, and my daughter is using a 3 core AMD so nothing to write home about in the CPU department for sure.)

I can't see why one 780 let alone 2 would have any problems.

Just for testing purposes, keep all settings as you have them, and drop the AO level. Then put it back. Then drop PhysX down to medium. Then put it back. I would just test by lowering one of the more demanding options at a time to see if any one effect is causing the problem. Short of that, maybe do a fresh driver install as someone suggested above.

Just as an update, I have played BL2 since my last post in SLI configuration. At 1080p the game is running at 130-144 FPS nearly at all times with PhysX set to High and using FXAA. It very frequently triggers Vsync with Adaptive VSync turned on in the CP and VSync disabled in game. Everything else in the CP is set to Application-controlled and PhysX set to Auto-select.

I would also like to know if the OP solved the issue. Could the CPU be bottlenecking the system?

i'm pretty sure physx high in borderlands 2 is just broken. completely destroys framerate.

I'm betting on them fixing the PhysX problem in Pre-Sequel, I hope that they implement the changes into BL2 since they probably just built on the same foundation that BL2 was built on.

Back