Borderlands 2 is Five Years Old Today

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
While I have not played Borderlands 2 for a year or so, I did actually fire it up the other day to check something driver-wise for testing. We were actually in my kitchen this morning talking to a Gearbox employee about replaying some Borderlands 2 this week and I did not even realize that today was its 5 year anniversary.

Given that I show spending 561 hours in Borderlands 2 over the last five years, I think that works out to about $0.15 per entertainment hour. Not bad...

Check out the video.

While Borderlands 3 is not yet announced, we are looking forward to it. Also, Project 1v1 looks to be very interesting, especially if you have a love for old-school DWANGO in your heart.

I'm at 640+ hours according to steam, just finished a new playtrough a couple days ago, now onto the DLC, hopefully nr 3 is more like 2 then the pre-sequel, even though =i find the first one the worst, but that's mostly due to the fast respawn timer.

I played Borderlands 1 a lot - then started on B2. I guess I was burn out from so much B1 that I never got into B2. It's on my Steam back log. I will have to revive this - need a new game to start on anyway and I know I'll like it.
Maybe by the team I get done with Bl2 and some of the DLC, BL3 will be on a good Steam sale (talking a few years down the road since the game isn't even announced officially :) ).

In my rankings from best to worse....
1. Borderlands 2 - Better story, better graphics options
2. Borderlands - The original, but needs some tweaking to run on modern systems.
3. Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel - Feels like glorified DLC when playing, the Claptastic Journey is a must-play. I like some of the innovations and character-specific dialogue in the story.

The Pre-Sequel isn't a bad game, it just lacked some of the polish. Once you completed all three games, Tales From The Borderlands is a must-play, as it references all three games.

I'm at 640+ hours according to steam, just finished a new playtrough a couple days ago, now onto the DLC, hopefully nr 3 is more like 2 then the pre-sequel, even though =i find the first one the worst, but that's mostly due to the fast respawn timer.
It won't be like The Presequel - that one was farmed out to the 2K B-team in Australia, a studio that now no longer exists.

They know everything is riding on BL3 after the Battleborne disappointment. It should be the proper successor to BL1 that we've been dreaming of.

It's a positive sign that they're being conservative with release announcements - done when it's done. Although I think 2K has hinted to shareholders that they expect it to be a massive title in 2018.

Last edited:
Borderlands I played mostly because the intro song hooked me ;) But I felt the game blew after the first couple hours I put into it. Borderlands 2 did not hook me at all, I was running around some ice fields fighting the bad guys with no cover system and going "man..I really think this game sucks". And that was that. Claptrap was well written. That's about all the praise I can deliver.

BL2 is my favourite co-operative FPS and my favourite solo FPS. It's a game I still play today. Great story, great characters, great graphics. I really liked the stylisation; in these days of ever more photo-realistic graphics, they stepped away and did better.

I played Borderlands 1 a lot - then started on B2. I guess I was burn out from so much B1 that I never got into B2. It's on my Steam back log. I will have to revive this - need a new game to start on anyway and I know I'll like it.
Maybe by the team I get done with Bl2 and some of the DLC, BL3 will be on a good Steam sale (talking a few years down the road since the game isn't even announced officially :) ).

Neat, the exact same thing happened to me. Then (seriously) one year to the day that I stopped playing BL2, I started a new game, 132 hours later I finally kicked Jack's teeth in. I have finished some of the DLC but still have a few more to run through before BL3 arrives.

I should fire up my copy, only played 17 hours back when it came out.
I've only consistently played 2 games in the past few years, Diablo 3 and Overwatch. Played Doom and BF1 for a few hours each.

Only 128 hours on my copy in steam but love the game. Played it with coworkers and the most fun i've had since people were still doing lan parties. I may do another playthru around xmas.

Its the only game that I still have installed besides Batman Arkham city that allows me to use Physx with Radeon + NV Gpu combo :)

i liked 2 a lot better-
52hrs in BL1
203 hrs in BL2.
i kinda still noodle around in BL2 and i like it... but nowhere near the staying power that new vegas had for me... im still playin that one.

BL2 is hands-down the most fun I've ever had in a co-op game with more than 2 players (I think Portal 2 takes the 2-player crown). Many fond memories...

More than 2 players? My copy of Borderlands 2 only supports 2 players. That must be really cool with 4.

On Vita I promise you it's a max of two players. I'm guessing you're on PC or something.

I was going to ask if you were playing on something else. (Vita, Shield, etc.) Yeah, PC is 4 players. It even supports a ton of different ways to play multiplayer too, (via Steam, LAN, normal internet, etc.) which seems to be getting rare these days.

You know, for a screwball company, run by a gigantic screwball, they sure do get a ton of things right once in a while. (well, with the Borderlands series at least) Can't wait for the new one. I've said it before, but they should change their name to either Borderlands Corporation (or adopt one of the in-game corps) and just make Borderlands only. It's what they do best, and it's what people actually want from them.

Borderlands will always have a special place in my heart. The co-op with friends was SO much fun!! The D&D DLC was such a good time, and all of the characters
I actually scrimped and saved and was able to get a flight to Pandora a few years back. Wandered the waste lands for a bit, had a little run in with Handsome Jack but managed to make it home alive, but not before grabbing a little souvenir, a PC case made to look like a loot crate. Figured it would look nice sitting in my living room.
Bbt5iuL.jpg

lovedall 3 games. Such great games. I have lots of stuff from them like shirts and what not. Have a big claptrap sticker the rear window of my truck and my phone ringtone is the mainframe song.

Borderlands will always have a special place in my heart. The co-op with friends was SO much fun!! The D&D DLC was such a good time, and all of the characters
I actually scrimped and saved and was able to get a flight to Pandora a few years back. Wandered the waste lands for a bit, had a little run in with Handsome Jack but managed to make it home alive, but not before grabbing a little souvenir, a PC case made to look like a loot crate. Figured it would look nice sitting in my living room.
Bbt5iuL.jpg

Nice case!

Goes nicely with:

IMG_3186.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Back