• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Bootup issue with Dell 2405FPW

soxfandoug

Weaksauce
Joined
Jan 10, 2005
Messages
92
Hey guys, I'm having a problem. I just got a Dell 2405FPW display the other day. When I boot up, I can see the POST screens and BIOS screens and such. But as soon as I get to where it would show the windows logo, my screen goes black, and stays black.

If I press F8 during booting, and select "Boot Windows Normally", it boots up fine. I don't go into safe mode or anything, I just select the option to boot normally.

Does anybody know what could be causing this? It is annoying to have to hit F8 every time I boot.

Thanks!
Doug
 
sounds like you have your video refresh set to high for that disply, set it to 60Hz if it not...
 
I just uninstalled my old drivers, and reinstalled the latest and greatest Catalyst drivers. Still no luck.

I haven't tried connecting via VGA. You think it would work properly with VGA? If so, would that mean the monitor was defective, or the video card? Obviously, I don't want to spend this much on a monitor to connect it with VGA.

Thanks for the help guys, and any other suggestions are extremely welcome!
Doug
 
I had this same problem after installing windows once. You dont see the windows start splash screen. Trying to remember for the life of me what it was, but something tells me it was cured soon as I downloaded the windows patches / updates.
 
I have not had to switch from CRT to LCD on a system yet (but I soon will!), but could it be your video signal in Windows is only on the VGA port? Have you tried booting up with your old monitor connected to HD-15 and your new LCD connected to the DVI? Try that, and go into your Display Properties and set your LCD as your primary display.

That is what I would try anyway. Any other suggestions out there?
 
My old monitor was a DVI monitor as well, and I didn't have any issues.

The thing that seems odd to me is that if I hit F8 during boot, and select "Start Windows Normally", it works fine. Doesn't this selection boot Windows the same way that it would if I didn't hit F8 at all? I don't understand why doing this makes the display work properly.

Thanks again,
Doug
 
It was suggested to me to unplug the USB cable to the monitor if you have it plugged in.
 
what video card do you have?

this happened to me when i first installed my 7800 gt. I fixed it by switching to the other DVI output since there are two of them.
 
Happened to me with a new build I did for someone, but I didn't have the luxury of swapping any type of DVI plug, was soley a VGA connection from the LCD.

I ended up having to sound like a dumb ass and talk the customer into another video card that I knew would play nice.
 
This has happened to me on an older computer with the Dell monitor. It would boot fine if the USB hub wasn't connected but would go to black screen when it was connected. It was suggested to me on a newsgroup to go into bios and DISABLE legacy support. Once I did that, everything worked fine. This hasn't been an issue for me with subsequent computers, but for what it's worth this fix allowed the USB and the Dell to play nice together on this older machine.
 
Back
Top