Bootsec.exe on root of C:\ drive (Fresh Win7 Ultimate Install)

Cannibal Corpse

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi all,
I just finished installing Windows 7 Ultimate X64 on an Asus motherbord, i5 intel. I was checking the root folder my C:\ drive, and I realized that besdies the standard folders (Program Files (x86), etc.) there is a file called bootsect.exe

Why is this there, and can I delete it?

Thanks for your help.

How come I see it now? I mean I have been installing Windows all these years, and this is a first tine I see it. It is not even hidden.

did you select show hidden files under folder and search options and view?

When you installed your OS you must of manually created the partition which copies boot files into the root of C:\ rather than the proper way which is a hidden partition.

When you install Windows, you're supposed to just click "Disk 0 Unallocated space" and press next so that the system can create the proper partitions.

Is it going to cause issue down the road?

What I did was this:

1) I used Acronis 2014 to wipe my SSD drive (fast)

2) Install Windows 7 by choosing the advance option (not the upgrade)

When I look at my hard drive structure via the Disk Management, I do see the proper (and hidden) 100MB NTFS System Reserved partition, *in addition to* my regular OS.

Is there anything wrong with this then?

Is it going to cause issue down the road?

What I did was this:

1) I used Acronis 2014 to wipe my SSD drive (fast)

2) Install Windows 7 by choosing the advance option (not the upgrade)

When I look at my hard drive structure via the Disk Management, I do see the proper (and hidden) 100MB NTFS System Reserved partition, *in addition to* my regular OS.

Is there anything wrong with this then?

No, that is functional. This horse is dead ;) It is fine to leave it where it is. Its nothing suspicious, and completely normal.

No, that is functional. This horse is dead It is fine to leave it where it is. Its nothing suspicious, and completely normal.

I am sure, since I have done it hundred times in the past (Windows 7 install that is), the only thing that is bugging me is the existence of this bootsect.exe file on the root of my C:\ drive. :confused:

Last edited:
I can give you a list of hidden/benign features/files/directories/functions in the same OS that will bug you also, but they too are benign and do no harm.

I can give you a list of hidden/benign features/files/directories/functions in the same OS that will bug you also, but they too are benign and do no harm.

I see. Well, thanks for the comforting words though! :)

Now the funny thing, (this is a fresh install of Windows 7 by the way), when I cleaned my temp folder (%temp%) using Kaspersky 2014 Anti-Virus privacy cleaner utility option, Windows take a *tad* longer to restart: in other words, before cleaning that temp folder, system would instantaneously restart, but now it take a bit longer to do so...

Now the funny thing, (this is a fresh install of Windows 7 by the way), when I cleaned my temp folder (%temp%) using Kaspersky 2014 Anti-Virus privacy cleaner utility option, Windows take a *tad* longer to restart: in other words, before cleaning that temp folder, system would instantaneously restart, but now it take a bit longer to do so...

The delay in start time likely had nothing to do with cleaning that particular folder. Most likely had to with all of the other processes now starting and installing in the background. Simply installing drivers (either by choice, or via windows automatically doing it) can increase load time significantly from the first few boots.

Back