BOOTMGR missing error XP install USB

Xenozx

2[H]4U
Hey all, so I have a PC with windows 7 and 10 installed. Both OS's work fine. I created a USB thumb drive and put windows XP on it. I had to insert some drivers into it because I dont have a floppy or CD/DVD drive. (AHCI DRIVERS) I created the new ISO with inserted drivers, then copy and pasted all files from the ISO onto the USB drive.

now mind you, I am in windows, i hit restart, then hit del, tell the bios to boot from USB, and then save and exit. When it goes to boot from the USB i get an error

BOOTMGR IS MISSING

CTR+ALT+DEL to restart

tried 3 or 4 times, same error almost instant, go back into bios, change back to my HD as primary boot device, and then can get right back into windows error free.

So, i believe I may have did something wrong with creating the USB drive? Should there be a bootMGR on the usb thumb drive? Ultimately what I want, is when i boot up my PC it give me the option to boot into XP/7/10.

I don't think you can install XP from a USB drive and iirc I don't think you can copy paste files from an ISO to a thumb drive it has to be correctly created on the drive as an ISO. And generally when setting up a windows multiboot you have to start the install process with the oldest version first ie. install xp first then 7 and then finally 10. You may be able to get away without doing a complete reinstall of everything using something like easy BCD if I remember correctly but it's been a long time since I have set up a multiboot system. Barring that you could disconnect the drive or drives with 7 and 10 on them install XP then reconnect the other drives and select which drive to boot from via the bios.

XP *can* be installed from a USB thumbdrive, it requires some 3rd party wizardry to do though. Nowhere as easy as Windows 7 and above.

couple times had that issue:
BOOTMGR IS MISSING

CTR+ALT+DEL to restart
while installing xp from a disc but it was a long time ago I don't remember what it was that worked. But I do remember what I tried.
It was either trying a different xp, a setting in the bios or removing the hard drive and formatting from another pc.

Since you're asking about USB check out this guild here:
[HOW TO] Install USB on XP with Skylake - HWBOT forum

Back