bootmgr image is corrupt in vista ultimate 64. possible hdd failure?

perithimus

Limp Gawd
seems to have started after installing alcohol 120. i installed then got an error that it did not install correctly. So I uninstalled alcohol. That's when everything froze. did a hard reboot and got an error that one of my boot files was missing or damaged and to repair. so I did a repair. blue screened. So i tried it again. said it repaired ok and to restart. That's when I got the bootmgr is corrupt. So I went to the recovery console again and went to command prompt and did a bootrec.exe /fixboot and that went through fine. so everything seemed ok for a bit. Next day things started freezing again. so i figured I would just reinstall Vista. went to use killdisk and it would not run. said there were bad sectors. So I ran a full diagnostic scan using my hard drive utility. full scan came up with no errors at all. so I used the utility to write zeros to the drive.

Now time to reinstall vista. Installation went through just fine. went to install chipset drivers and got an error that they did not install correctly. when I went to reinstall I got an error that I am using a 32 bit installer on a 64 bit system. So I looked it up. Seemed to be a common error so i didn't worry too much about it. So updates and service pack 1 installed just fine. Got my antivirus installed just fine to. I also ran memtest over night just to try that. That is where I am at right now. Going to continue reinstalling stuff when I get home from work. I am mainly looking for your opinions on the matter. It seems to me that alcohol 120 might have been the cause of my issue, but I am not entirely sure. Seems some were having issues with alcohol 120 and vista. What do you guys think? been at this a few days.

day 3
Ok I have done more testing with memtest. The memory is fine. I did get a few errors with my hard drive diagnostic but when I ran another full scan for the third time it came back with no errors. I also ram prime. I am still locking up on occasion with a fresh windows install. So far everything I have done shows stability with the exception of the hard drive having a few glitches.

edit: Anyone know of any good hard drive diagnostic programs other than the oem utility?

Back