Weaksauce
Just built a new box:

A8N SLI
Maxtor 250GB Diamondmax 10 SATA
AMD 64 3500+
BFG 7800GT x 2
2GB OCZ 3200
Enermax 600W

Here is my problem. About every other time i turn the box on, it either freezes during bootup (always at the black "windows" screen), or it takes in excess of over 60 seconds to get to the login prompt. Normally, its about 15 seconds from the time i turn it on, until it hits the login screen.

Its almost as if the OS is having an in issue taking control from the bios. I'm using Win XP Pro with SP2 and all the updates. My bios is updated to the lastes 1011 bios from ASUS. At first, i thought it was because of all the windows updates i had to apply since it was new, but now its a constant problem.

Anyone have any ideas? This is a frustrating issue. I've done about 30 computer builds, and never run into this one. Everything on the box works like a champ when its running. Its just this one small boot up issue. :confused: :(

Have you run MemTest on the memory overnight? That's a start.

If you feel I have no clue, by all means, dump on me.

Thanks duck, i'll start there. What i've discovered though, is that it only does this after an extend period where it is turned off. I am starting to think that it maybe something to do with the powersupply? As long as everything is warm, it will consistently start with no issues. But let it sit for 6 or so hours, and its right back to the same antics.

try playing around with the memory, my shuttle has some memory problems where it wouldnt boot into windows etc...

I have also had my Nvidia drivers restart my computer when more than one monitor was hooked up to my 6800LE. That one was a fun issue to figureout...wouldnt even boot to the login screen.

I'm going to read up on my PSU and see if anything sticks out. I've had it die one time when using it. No explanation, it just shut itself off. I don't think it was a heat issue, it just shut down. Also, starting up the puter is seems "strange".

If you don't hold the power button in just right, the thing won't start (kinda of like it isn't getting enough juice). I dunno, something is going on for sure. My immediate thought is something with the PSU, but if anyone else has any ideas, i'm all ears.

Well... Going with the PSU idea, you should make sure that all of your molex connections are tight. If you have another PSU lying around, try that one in your system and see if that fixes the problem. That should rule the PSU in or out without any doubt.

I could see the a lack of power leading to freeze-ups. However, I've never heard of a PC booting slowly because it didn't have enough power. I would expect it to just freeze up or shut off. This again points to a possible memory issue.

I don't see why holding the power button a certain way would make any difference unless there is a connection issue. Try making sure that the wire for the power switch is connected securely to the motherboard.

I swapped the memory into different slots, and checked all the molex connectors. Still the same issue. When you depress the power button for just a second, it fires up, sounds like its going to shutdown, then it takes off. Thats usually when it either flat freezes at the black screen, or takes forever and a day to boot.

I'm going to get another PSU tonight and try that. If that doesn't work, then i'm going to swap in some Corsair Memory i have, and possibly swap out my HDD. Like i said in my first post, i've done alot of builds, and never had this issue before. And right when CoD2 was released, AHHHHH!!!! ;)

Have you tried a different hard disk? If there's something wrong with it, it could read a lot slower. The power switch thing might just be the switch itself. Also, try some incense and holy water.

I ran memory tests on all night long and no issues. As soon as i rebooted it, it hung at the black Windows screen. As well, the HDD indicator light that blinks as the disk is accessed, stayed completely lit when it hung. Almost like it can't access the hard drive properly to turn control of the system over to the OS.

In other instances, if it is going to take forever to boot into the login screen, the scroll bar at the bottom of the black screen will keep going and going, yet the HDD activity light won't show any activity at all, on the hard drive.

So now i'm thinking, swap power supplies, the harddrives, then motherboards. I can't imagine what else it could be. I don't think it has anything to do with my SLI setup. Least i hope not.

slackerjack said:
I ran memory tests on all night long and no issues. As soon as i rebooted it, it hung at the black Windows screen. As well, the HDD indicator light that blinks as the disk is accessed, stayed completely lit when it hung. Almost like it can't access the hard drive properly to turn control of the system over to the OS.

In other instances, if it is going to take forever to boot into the login screen, the scroll bar at the bottom of the black screen will keep going and going, yet the HDD activity light won't show any activity at all, on the hard drive.

So now i'm thinking, swap power supplies, the harddrives, then motherboards. I can't imagine what else it could be. I don't think it has anything to do with my SLI setup. Least i hope not.

Driver? Get into safe mode and remove audio, video, and network from dev man, then reboot.

psychosonik said:
Driver? Get into safe mode and remove audio, video, and network from dev man, then reboot.

k, i'll try that when i get home tonight, thx. Right now i'm grasping at straws. This is one weird ass issue.

psychosonik said:

Thought that was it. Did a bunch of cold starts, and then restarts, and it was all gravy. Then i did a cold start with a restart, and it hung. I'm really thinking its something hardwareish. I'm going to start with the harddrive first.

Finally figured this one out. After some more research, i found out there is a major issue with Maxor DiamondMax drives, and the nVidia N4 chipset. Course, i found all this out after I RMA'd what is probably a perfectly good motherboard. :rolleyes: Time to go shop for a new harddrive. Thanks for all those that posted ideas. :D

http://forums.nvidia.com/lofiversion/index.php?t8171.html

Back