Booting preference for OS on 2 HDD's

Bugbear

Limp Gawd
Hello all. I recently got a 1TB hard drive and I installed Windows 7 RC on it, while I kept Windows XP on my older hard drive. Both drives are SATA drives and I was wondering what would happen if I plugged in both drives at the same time. Is there a boot preference when it comes to SATA drives? Will it load the OS off of the drive that's on SATA1 before it tries the next port, or am I going to get in trouble plugging in both drives at the same time?

Thank you!

You can set up the boot priority in the BIOS and tell it which HD you would like it to default to. On my mobo i have a similar setup with vista and win7 and I just tap F11 when I see the POST screen and it lets me select my boot device, there I can choose the drive with vista or win7, otherwise if I do nothing it boots to win7 by default. That is just how my setup is, yours can be anyway you like...

If I do it the way you're saying, will I still be able to access the drive that doesn't have the OS running? For instance, while you're running Win7, can you access your hard drive that has Vista installed on it? I am wanting to access the other drive so that I can transfer files to the new drive. Thanks again.

Hey thanks. I'm writing this from the machine now, with both hard drives going.

Back