• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Booting issues after PSU/Cooler upgrade.

pdinc

Limp Gawd
Joined
Dec 19, 2006
Messages
425
So, I decided to upgrade my primary rig (in sig) with a H50 and a Truepower 1000 in anticipation of a possible 4870x2 CF. I installed both, and then tried to boot, but now the computer just goes to a blank screen after the OS selection screen (Dual-boot XP/Windows 7).

I figured my HDD must have been damaged somehow and tried to boot from the Win7 OS disc - but this doesnt work either!

Tried a Ubuntu 9.1 disc and the computer can boot from that.

Does anyone know what the issue may be? Am I not supplying enough power to the 4970x2, perhaps?

I'm going to trouble shoot the old fashioned way (disconnect everything, use old graphic card, plus back parts one at a time until it fails again to isolate problem), but i thought I'd ask here for direction if anyone has any suggestions.

Grazie!
 
so it get to POST?

reset the bios, first thing on the list
 
so it get to POST?

reset the bios, first thing on the list

It posts, just doesn't boot into any windows environment, on HDD or from disc.

I'll try that, but the BIOS never even came to mind because I didn't even change any components - just the PSU and cooler.
 
The BIOS get corrupted sometimes, It usually happens to me whenever I fiddle around with computer components, like some "major surgery" as replacing a cpu cooler. That's because i don't use an anti-static bracelet or the like.

There is another factor, like accidentally dropping a screwdriver on the mobo, apparently nothing is wrong, but it can cause a lot of damage, happened to me once, the mobo died, had to RMA it
 
so did you remove everythng , leave only 1 ram stick in.... reset bios to optimal settings and go from there,,,,, troubleshooting 101, and report back the steps you have taken and we can help
 
Ok, I think I may have figured out the problem device. I disconnected everything, reset the bios, left all ram sticks in, but only hooked up one of my 3 HDDs (the OS one). It worked, so I went into the system log viewer and noticed some IDE device conflicts.

I went back and connected all 3 drives and now its failing again.

The only IDE device I have is a DVD writer, but all my SATA HDDs are set to work in legacy (IDE) mode. What should I do to resolve this problem? Would switching them to AHCI help?
 
At this point, switching the SATA controller to AHCI mode would require you to reformat your drives. Without backing up everything beforehand, you'd end up losing your data.

Have you updated your BIOS recently? Did you reset your CMOS? One or both of those tasks may help with resolving the IDE conflicts.
 
Back
Top