Booting from device on UEFI board

Bonura

n00b
I haven't built a machine for awhile, but recently put a machine together with one of the new uefi boards. I installed windows 7 x86 from an ms official iso with my zalman VE300.

With my existing old time bios systems, I can boot up any iso I want from the zalman drive or my isostick. With the uefi board, the results are very inconsistent. Parted Magic boots up fine (from zalman or isostick), as do some others (win7 repair disk, partition wizard, all from isos). Others don't (win7 official iso, macrium and others). Hirens boots from isostick ok, but from cd, not all functions are available (no hiren's menu, sometimes no mouse or keyboard).

I did some googling and determined that the old method an utilities weren't necessarily going to cut it. So that's why I'm posting. Is there an accepted and widely used method for booting to utilities outside of windows?

Easy2Boot seems to be a viable method for booting isos, but I'm wondering if there is a goto standard?

Thanks for any help :)

Hi. Apologies for the delayed response...business matters.

The Mac: If LCM is the same as CSM, then it is turned on. Actually, every legacy setting is turned on and secure boot turned off. The aforementioned issues still exist. I wonder if the motherboard's an issue...it's not a top-line board (Gigabyte H81-D3). I put this machine together to virus check and repair HDs, so I didn't need a board with all the bells and whistles.

BKillB: I use Rufus too. It won't format to FAT32 for all isos (Ms install isos, for example). I have the Zalman formatted to NTFS. I guess I'll flash the FAT32 fw and format to Fat32 to see if that helps.

But it's not just these 2 devices. It's also CD drives (2 different drives). As mentioned above, Hirens will load up mini xp, but not the Hiren's menu utilities in mini xp. Does fine from the (FT32 formatted) isostick. You'd think it would boot OK from the CD.

ANy opinions on Easy2Boot?

Yes, LCM = Legacy Compatibility Mode.

Im sure each manufacturer calls it something different.

Back