• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Booting an ISO image from a remote PC

rotteneggz

Limp Gawd
Joined
Apr 12, 2004
Messages
164
[H]ello all,
Here is my problem: I need to boot an ISO image from windows that is stored at a local PC using a remote computer. I will have the image somewhere in the computer.
After the computer boots using the ISO image by restarting the pc, I'd need to go through the prompts in order to complete my task.
I have a few questions regarding this.
Is it even possible?
I heard of Grub, a program that would let me boot a program/os remotely. But if i restart the PC, won't i lose the remote connection?
Therefor i wont be able to enter in the commands i need in dos.
Can anyone help?

Btw the "program" i am refering to is DBAN. So what i am saying is i want the ability to wipe my HDD clean from a remote location, possible?

Thanks in advance
 
I suppose there is no one you could coordinate with on the remote system to physically boot and launch DBAN? You may want to look into the enterprise version of DBAN called EBAN.
 
Uhh, wouldn't it be easier to boot from CD/USB/Floppy? :confused:
 
maybe some sort of TFTP boot would be possible?

What exactly is TFTP and would i allow me to use Dos after i restart the PC?

I suppose there is no one you could coordinate with on the remote system to physically boot and launch DBAN? You may want to look into the enterprise version of DBAN called EBAN.

Negative, i need to be able to do this at a remote location by myself.

Uhh, wouldn't it be easier to boot from CD/USB/Floppy?

So let's say i set the BIOS up so it boots from floppy while having the DBAN floppy in. So i restart the computer remotely and then what? would i lose control over the PC? would i lose the remote control of the pc?

check if your BIOS supports network booting

Will do and i will report back
 
I think i've figured it out. All i need to have it automatically erase the HDD is to modify the syslinux.cfg file (http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread_id=1577365&forum_id=208932). Now all i need is to be able to load the ISO automatically while the pc reboots. I could do this with a floppy disk or cd rom but i think i'll try to figure it out useing GRUB instead of useing a physical disk. Thanks for the info everyone.
 
Back
Top