• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

bootable f@h cd?

R

ring.of.steel

Guest
do any of these exist? would install suse but i have no dvds and cant find the other ones i had. i am looking for a bootable linux cd that goes straight into f@h, also it should not have a performance impact over the linux client.
 
Yes, there are available :

-SMP client bootable live cd, without the extra stuff : http://reilly.homeip.net/folding/cd64.html
-Console client bootable live cd, without the extra stuff : http://reilly.homeip.net/folding/cd.html

The neat thing with those links is that you can enter your folding name and team id then it will create a custom ISO with this so just burn it then boot it to fold. The only negative is no ability to save the steps unless you setup a TFTP server (there are HOWTO for both Windows and Linux in http://reilly.homeip.net/folding/).

The other way is with foldix, created by our own folder unhappy_mage : http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=964162
 
a) The Linux client IS only 64 bit. For 32-bit you need the Windows SMP client, and Windows (obviously) isn't live-bootable.

b) Dual Athlon MP's won't make deadlines on SMP WU's. Sorry, but an X2 3600+ or Pentium-D is the absolute bare minimum.
 
Yes, there are available :

-SMP client bootable live cd, without the extra stuff : http://reilly.homeip.net/folding/cd64.html
-Console client bootable live cd, without the extra stuff : http://reilly.homeip.net/folding/cd.html

The neat thing with those links is that you can enter your folding name and team id then it will create a custom ISO with this so just burn it then boot it to fold. The only negative is no ability to save the steps unless you setup a TFTP server (there are HOWTO for both Windows and Linux in http://reilly.homeip.net/folding/).

The other way is with foldix, created by our own folder unhappy_mage : http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=964162

Cool! Good links!

Anybody know of anything similar for running the SMP client off a USB stick? I saw the USB stick setup here http://reilly.homeip.net/folding/usb.html but that just appears to run multiple instances of the single CPU client.
 
Cool! Good links!

Anybody know of anything similar for running the SMP client off a USB stick? I saw the USB stick setup here http://reilly.homeip.net/folding/usb.html but that just appears to run multiple instances of the single CPU client.

Try emailing the author of this and ask if it is possible to make a bootable smp usb stick. I would love to see one myself for temp borging of machines in the bench.
 
Try emailing the author of this and ask if it is possible to make a bootable smp usb stick. I would love to see one myself for temp borging of machines in the bench.

Well, couldn't find an e-mail, but I PMed him on TR and asked about it. I'll update with what info I get back.
 
Here's the scoop on USB SMP from notfred...

"Hi Parja,
I'm updating the whole diskless folding suite at the moment and one of the things will be a new USB folding stick that will run both single core or SMP depending on what the processor is capable of. It's probably going to be at least another month until I get it done though, too busy with other non-computing stuff."
 
so i should install windows and then use 2 seperate console clients?

thanks
 
How does this SMP client compare to say a Windows SMP with regards to PPD?
 
How does this SMP client compare to say a Windows SMP with regards to PPD?

I'd venture to imagine the 64-bit Linux one would be faster than the 32-bit Windows one. Of course, I have no data to back that up, just experience with both. :)
 
Back
Top