Bootable discs for freshly built systems...

Decepticon

Gawd
Just wondering what applications people here have for building new systems and running initial tests or for testing out upgrades? I'm going to be building my rig in the new week or so and am trying to compile a decent bootable CD or DVD I can use to go in and test out my machine to make sure everything is working properly.

I have memtest86 already but would love to hear of some more tools people use for diagnostics on their rigs, preferably ones that can be accessed before going into Windows whenever possible.

Also, is there any decent free disc imaging software out there that you guys would recommend? I know of a few paid solutions but would prefer a free option if it can do a good enough job. Something I can use to create a recovery disc image once I get Windows 7 installed and some crucial apps on there.

Thanks guys :)

I usually just load up Prime95 or IntelBurnTest to stress a new build. If it passes that stuff then it's likely OK. Sometimes though OC's may be stable in those test but crash when applications are launched. There's no one solution.

I run memtest86+ and then run 3dmark. If all of that works then everything should be good.

Why not try out the built-in Windows backup and restore?

I run memtest86+ and then run 3dmark. If all of that works then everything should be good.

Why not try out the built-in Windows backup and restore?

Thanks guys, I'll grab those programs for my tests! And yea I suppose I could just use the built-in Windows backup...I think I've just had it ingrained in my memory for so long to avoid a lot of the "built-in" programs on Windows for so many tasks I often can't even remember what all they have in 7 :p I'll give it a go and see how that works out.

Back