Boot problem

man00

Limp Gawd
I have Asus Z97-AR
Samsung 1TB SSD with Windows 10
Samsung 500GB with Windows 8
Only way I can boot to Windows 8 is to go in bios and select override priority
If I pick the Windows 8 boot in the Boot options it goes to windows 10
Think it started when trying to install linux on a external drive..thought I had both the samsung unplug

I connected linux drive on the external port and I could pick any drive and would be fine, super grub?

are you getting a win10 boot loader or are you using something else? if the win10 one, you can re-add the win8 and fix it. if something else, the grub2 suggestion should sort it out.

Grub loader works fine or when the linux drive is connected via usb even hitting the F8 key during boot works..
Disconnect the the linux drive and hitting F8 key during only boots to WIndows 10 on the SSD 1TB
I can go in the bios and override the BBS (F8 key) and go to windows 8 or windows 10

Update, when using F8 key to pick which drive, if I pick the Linux drive once grub loads I see this
Mint 20.1 Cinn
Windows 8 /dev/sda1
Windows 10 (on /dev/sdb1/ ..will not boot if I pick that one
Windows 10 (on dev/sdc1/ will boot

so set the linux drive as primary boot and edit out the broken 10 entry.

so set the linux drive as primary boot and edit out the broken 10 entry.
Thanks, are there a way I can fix this without using linux boot menu? I much rather use just the F8 to pick my OS
You see when linux is not installed I can't pick any drive to boot from other than what in primary boot in bios
even tho they are listed while using F8 key

Thanks, are there a way I can fix this without using linux boot menu? I much rather use just the F8 to pick my OS
You see when linux is not installed I can't pick any drive to boot from other than what in primary boot in bios
even tho they are listed while using F8 key
sounds like the linux install took over as the boot loader. youd have to remove the boot loader and then repair each install individually so they boot again on their own and then f8 menu should work. to do this properly, you have to disconnect all other drives during each install so they dont know about each other and try to make a multi boot loader.

I ran msconfig and check boot, nothing there that shouldn't be on both drives.
Ran reflect backup and did the fix boot from a USB stick, deleted both partitions and ran restore with only one drive at a time connected.
Still no go, pick the Windows 8 from the F8 key and boots to Win 10. Go to bios and pick bootover ride for the windows 8 disk...goes to windows 8
Just threw the linux disk back in and using F8 key I can pick any disk to boot from....If I let the computer reboot on its own it goes to windows 10
I dunno at this point, looks like I have to leave the linux drive installed

your linux installed screwed it all up. either leave it as is, fix each drive/os individually or wipe it all and start over

I tried to fix each drive/os individually that failed...starting to think if its possible that it did something in the bios ..I lost all my settings when this happen

I tried to fix each drive/os individually that failed...starting to think if its possible that it did something in the bios ..I lost all my settings when this happen
did you disconnect them all and work on them one at a time and rebuild each boot loader/config?!
no, "IT" wouldnt touch your bios but YOU might have...

One last thing, using the F8 key is from the bios bbs , connect the linux drive up and using F8 key I can pick any drive I want to boot and it works or I can use grub menu and do the same..I still think that something went wrong with the liniux install and it did something to the asus bios..as odd as that sounds. All drive have gone through bootrec.exe commands but none of those helped. I installed easybcd and I can pick which drive to boot to, but F8 key does not work...EasyBcd may not be safe to use but..

its not the bios, its the messed up install order and linux trying to take over.

All drives removed from computer...In the Bios only thing showing about Booting is
Boot Priority
Ubuntu
bios seup.jpg

Last edited:
Back